Chapter Fifteen | Gentle (Three Months Ago)

"I remember years ago,
Someone told me I should take
Caution when it comes to love,
I did."

»«

Three months prior

"Ratchet?" Dana asked as she sat in his driver's seat, gazing out at the sunset from their perch. "I've been reading about sparks, and how they tie in to bonding and reproduction, but I don't quite understand how it all works. Because a spark is just like a human heart, isn't it?"

"Yes, and no." Her guardian replied. "A spark does pump energon through our systems, but it can also break apart. And when two Cybertronians give one another a piece, it creates a bond that brings them together on an almost spiritual level." He looked down at her. "And yes, the combination of two sparks can also create a sparkling, or a baby."

She paused for a moment, in deep thought. After a while, she gave him a tad of a shy smile, very much unlike her usual self. "Can I see yours?"

The medic was surprised. "My spark?"

"Yes." She nodded. "If that's okay with you, of course."

Ratchet was more confused than offended or reluctant. "Why would you want to see it?"

"Because things like that interest me." She smiled, standing. "I mean, you probably don't care to see anything on my flesh body, but Cybertronian anatomy is absolutely fascinating to me."

He paused for a long moment, thinking, then finally deciding. "Sure. It won't hurt anything." The medic had her get out before he transformed, taking a sitting position before offering his servo to her, allowing her to climb on and bringing her close, his chest plates shifting aside to reveal the bright blue light, which matched his optics, within.

"Wow . . ." Dana murmured, her breath taken away. The center of Ratchet's spark was intact, and in no specific shape, thrumming with energy as shards orbited around the centerpiece slowly, almost lazily. It stayed within the boundaries of the "casing," as it was called, but as Dana leaned closer to get a better look, some of the shards drifted towards her, stopped by the casing.

Her guardian looked almost amused by the rapt attention she was giving him, feeling his spark thrum in response to sensing someone he cared about. The medic wasn't disillusioned, he knew that the relationship between them was purely platonic. Dana saw no intimacy on the act, to her, it was just for pure fascination. And Ratchet was rather flattered that she was so interested. None of the other humans seemed that interested.

"What does that mean?" Dana pointed to the shards which were constantly beating against his spark casing - the act was gentle, so it didn't hurt, but he could still feel it.

"Because sparks are used to create such special bonds," he explained, "they are somewhat hardwired to react in such a way to anyone considered special by the 'bot. Familiar, or friendly."

Her eyes sparkled up at him. "Awe, I'm special to you, Ratch? That's so sweet!"

"Well, of course." He spoke, a little flustered. "You're my charge after all. I'm supposed to care about you."

She smiled, gently placing her hand on his spark casing, one of his shards sticking to the side in an effort to get to her; it was rather amusing, because though it was but a sliver, it was almost as tall as she was. "I care about you too, Ratchet." Her eyes looked up at him, her smile soft and genuine. "You're a great medic and friend. Y'know, I'm glad I got to meet you guys. That I got to meet you, and be your 'charge.'"