Chapter Nineteen | Seeing You

"It's been a long day without you my friend,
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"

»«

"Dana!" June shrieked, and the girl jumped in shock, almost dropping her phone. "Hang up the phone, now!"

"I'm not calling anyone." She responded, confused. "I'm listening to my voicemails. I got thirty missed calls and ten messages from my mom." And someone labeled "Ratchet." She added silently, not wanting to tell June. "I'm just listening, promise."

June sighed in relief, leaning against the doorway. After a brief pause, she looked at the young woman. "Do I need to give you some privacy?"

"Yeah. You can wait outside the door if you want." Dana offered a smile. "I read the note; I'm not calling anyone."

"Alright, alright. Yell if you need anything." June took a breath the moment she stepped out and closed the door. The last thing they needed was Decepticons coming to strike down to hospital, or worse, have Megatron come finish the job. The nurse resisted a shudder that threatened to run down her spine.

"Dana, it's mom. Where are you? They're evacuating Jasper - there's been some sort of meteor strike, or something. Please call me back. Please pick up."

"Dana, please answer the phone! Please." Her eyes watered a little as she heard her mother crying. "Your father just got here and your brother is with a friend. I don't know where you are. The military promises they got everyone out, but I can't find you. Dana, just pick up."

"She must be so worried." Dana murmured, realizing that she hadn't contacted her family, they only had June's words to go by. "I'm sorry mom . . ."

"Just please don't be dead." Was the final message from her mother. "Dana, I love you. Please don't be dead."

Something briefly surfaced in Dana's mind. She had been in danger, and in a place where she couldn't answer her phone. During the evacuation of Jasper she had been elsewhere . . . Tempting fate . . .

The next six messages were from a "Ratchet," which she considered an odd name and could not recall. The messages were several hours, and sometimes days, apart, and she suspected that she had been ignoring the caller, judging by the dates the messages were sent. Who were they?

"Dana . . ." It was instantly obvious that the caller was male. "I know that you're angry with me, and though I am angry with you too . . . I'm sorry." That was it, the entire message.

She frowned, selecting the next one. Why was he apologizing?

"It's me again. I . . . The 'sorry' wasn't enough. I'm more than sorry. As much as I want you back at base, I think that for now it is best that you remain away from it, and especially away from Megatron." The odd name sent a familiar thrill down her spine, and she sat up a little straighter. "But my yelling was uncalled for, as was my word choice. I could have said things better, and in a much calmer tone. The look on your face when you left . . . It is something I never want to see again. If you could call me back, or at least acknowledge that you heard this voicemail, it will help my spark rest easy tonight. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Dana could vaguely recall having a nasty argument with someone, and the name Megatron was familiar, as odd as it was. Was this "Ratchet" referring to some kind of company? It kind of sounded like an evil corporation. She hit the next one, which was exactly twenty-four hours after the last one.