Chapter One | Dangerous

It's dangerous, so dangerous
I wanna do it again
»«

"Honestly, thus is super unfair." Dana whined. "Why can't I see the big bad leader of the Decepticons?!"

"Because he almost killed Raf, and won't hesitate to do the same to you." June spoke sternly. "And besides, we're short-staffed at the hospital as it is. I don't need to lose a potential RNA to something like getting crushed by a Decepticon."

Miko pouted. "I'm not a nurse and you're not letting me see him!"

Agent Fowler huffed. "Because you're a civilian who shouldn't even be here in the first place."

"Agent Fowler is right." Ratchet grumbled as he pushed both reluctant girls into the corner. "Now stay here, or I will weld your aft to the wall."

"Aw, Ratch, you wouldn't do that." Dana laughed, but did what she was told and stayed put. At least from this angle, she would be able to see Megatron, and get a good idea about what was so great about him. Or terrifying.

Ratchet huffed a quiet "Don't try me," before he walked back over to the open Groundbridge, Optimus Prime standing tall and in the lead should Megatron try to pull some kind of stunt. Arcee, Bulkhead, and Bumebee stood behind him in battle-ready positions, their guns pointed into the vortex.

Her bones rattled as Megatron finally appeared from the other side, all of his steps slow, but intimidating, her mouth dropping open in surprise when she realized just how tall and absolutely ripped he was. Ratchet had given her brief lessons on Cybertronian anatomy, so she could recognize a bulked-up Cybertronian when she saw one. Where Optimus was packed with broad chest components but lean arms and legs, Megatron was all-around wide, his tapered hips the only indication that he isn't overweight or in need of a diet- like Bulkhead.

"By Primus he's huge." She breathed.

He stood over Optimus Prime by what she estimated to be at least a couple feet, something she hadn't even considered. In her mind's eye, the warlord was tall, lithe, and clever. Maybe even shorter than Optimus. Instead, he had blown away all expectations and presented an intimidating, powerful figure. She was not at all surprised that he was truly the leader of the Decepticons.

"So, this is where the magic happens." He rumbled, voice raspy from what she deigned years of abuse. "Quaint."

Her duty to obey Ratchet and June kept her feet anchored in place, but she so badly wanted to run out and get a better look at him. He was a different face, almost a different being altogether. He was fascinating. She fought the urge to go simply because the dangers and the cons outweighed any pros. Running on missions was one thing; she could hide during missions. There was nowhere to run here.

"Raf, no!" June's startled cry snapped her out of her thinking, the girl watching with a surprised expression as Rafael, the most timid of the bunch, ran out of hiding to do. . . Something.

"I'll get him." Dana volunteered before slinking out of hiding and dashing after Raf, shouting to let the Autobot's know that one of them was loose, and heading straight towards danger. "Raf!"

She felt all optics turn towards them, her long legs reaching Rafael in no time and her gentle, practiced hands grabbing his shoulders to keep him from taking another step. She paused to look up, her green eyes immediately locking on to red optics, Megatron looking at her with a disinterested gaze before sliding down to Raf, his mouth twisting into a smirk and revealing sharp denta.

"You're looking much better than the last time we met, little one." He shifted his body to face the humans, Arcee immediately stepping between him and her small companions, picking up on the body language immediately. Megatron simply grinned, looking away. "Humans, resilient."

"You'd be surprised." Dana spoke up, her voice a bit sharp. She wasn't fond of his tone with Raf. "Us humans can survive quite a bit of scrap."

"Dana-" Ratchet warned, reaching for her, but the human girl had since left Raf and walked straight past Arcee, approaching the Decepticon warlord.

Arcee looked at the girl with utter disbelief. "What do you think you're doing?!" She hissed.

"Don't worry. He won't hurt me." The girl spoke confidently, looking up at Megatron with her hands on her hips. "Not if he wants Optimus' help."

Megatron looked back down at her, amused expression on his face. It was almost comical, how a tiny human tried to stand up to him. He puffed out his chest a little more and turned to face her, ignoring Optimus Prime's warning gesture and Arcee's warm guns.

"You're quite confident for a bug that I could squash in an instant." He notes.

"But you won't." She repeats. "Granted, if we met on a battlefield, things could be much different."

He grinned. "Indeed. I would not be as merciful as I am now." He knelt down, slowly, Optimus saying his name in a warning tone, but he was intrigued. All of the other humans remained behind Arcee, but this one had walked right up to him. Either she was stupid, as brave as she acted, or both. He extended his clawed servo, red optics burning.

"Just how fearless are you, little human?"

"Dana, no!" Ratchet snarled, Optimus holding his old friend back. A brawl could accidentally hurt the girl; she was too close to Megatron to risk it.

"Don't do it." Optimus said slowly. "We have a mission to accomplish. Megatron, give Ratchet the coordinates. Dana, get back to where we told you to be. This is unacceptable behavior."

Megatron chuckled, drawing his servo back. "Perhaps another time."

Dana looked at him for a long time before she turned her back and walked away, Megatron doing the same. June Darby looked absolutely furious, Jack terrified, Miko disappointed, and Agent Fowler even angrier than the nurse.

"What in the name of Sam Hill did you think you were doing?!" The Agent snapped angrily. "You could have gotten yourself killed, confronting Megatron like that!"

"He wasn't going to hurt me." She scoffed. "If he had, the Autobots would have blasted him to bits."

"And we would have no one to save our planet!" Fowler fumed. "Without Megatron, we have no direct coordinates."

June cut in. "You need to gain control of your impulsiveness, Dana. One day, it could get you severely injured; or worse, killed."

The girl crossed her arms unhappily, and stood with the other humans as they waited for Megatron to give Ratchet the coordinates, and as the mGroundbridge fired up she watched as Optimus Prime turned to his team.

"Autobots, this mission will be very dangerous. But for the sake of humankind, I must proceed. However, you do not." He spoke calmly, giving them the choice. If they wanted to back out, they could. If they wanted to proceed, that was just as much of an option.

"Maybe not for humankind . . . But I will go, for Miko." Bulkhead spoke up, looking at his charge.

"For Jack." Archer concurred.

Bumblebee whirled his response, making it clear that he would do this for Rafael.

Optimus nodded, and he turned towards the vortex, Megatron waiting patiently for the next order.

"You first," Arcee commanded, crossing her arms.

Megatron gave her a little grin and a small bow. "As you wish." He purred, and as he turned to the Groundbridge his optics landed back on the human girl that dared to approach him once.

Dana stared back, a slight chill going down her spine when he gave her the smallest of twisted smiles before he walked through, leaving her with a silent promise.

Our business here is not over yet.