Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops Chapter 2

I'm reeeallly excited about this story. It's totally my kind of writing and it's about to take place in my kind of town (Oh YEAH!!!)

I seriously hope you guys enjoy. Thanks to my 22 fans!!! I love you sooo much and this story goes out to you! Thanks!

Comment, Vote, Fan, but please, DO ENJOY!!!

To the right is David Henry, who is the closest I could find to Bryce, Brandon's brother

--Kayce♥♥

Chapter Two--Hick Town

It had only been one week since the funeral and it was almost the beginning of Thanksgiving break. Personally I didn't see anything for me to be thankful for. My boyfriend was dead. I was depressed. My family treated me like a little kid who needed help peeing and my friends treated me like an outsider. Apparently nothing was allowed to go right for me because I flunked two tests in the last week, my TV broke, and my sister left my favorite book outside in the rain.

Every where I looked all I could see were things that reminded me of Brandon. When I walked down the street I would see a rose and think of how he bought me a bouquet of them for our first date. Or I'd drive past the park and think back to our first kiss. I literally couldn't escape it. Just being in Utah was hard for me.

Then it happened.

I was sitting on the couch in the living room pretending to be a normal girl watching normal TV and eating normal popcorn when my mother sat down beside me. She was quickly joined by my dad and I wound up squished between the two of them.

"Samantha we have to talk to you." My mother said reluctantly.

"About what?" This could not be good. I sighed.

"I know you told me not to talk about him, honey, but you've been really different lately."

I said nothing.

"Your father got offered a job in Michigan. I think he's going to take it." At first I didn't understand what she was saying, but then it suddenly sunk in. "We're scheduled to be out of here in the next two weeks."

"But mom!" I jumped up, yelling.

"We don't scream at our mothers, Sam." Dad chimed in. I sat back down feeling the tears coming on. This was all because he died. They were using Brandon as an excuse to ruin my life.

"Mom you seriously can't be doing this to me! You can't make me move to some hick town in the middle of nowhere. Because that's exactly what you're going to do, isn't it?" I asked. I was almost positive that when she said we were going to Michigan that she meant that we were moving in next door to the Beverly Hillbillies and Captain Hermit of Hermits Ville. In other words, we were going to the UP. (Upper Peninsula)

"Look Samantha, we aren't trying to hurt you. It's just that the job offers me a lot more money than I'm getting right now and if I take it I think everyone in this family will be better off. Brandon isn't here anymore, Sam, and you need to accept that."

"No!"

I leaped off the couch and ran into my room. I heard the door slam behind me. Cassie was sitting there on my bed looking at me. I could tell by the way she looked at me that she already knew everything. I gave her the quickest glare and then pushed her off my bed. She hadn't seen it coming and toppled back onto the floor.

"What was that for, Sam?"

"You knew!" I screamed. "And you didn't tell me!"

"I just found out like ten minutes ago and mom told me not to say anything to you. She told me to tell you to call everybody. We're leaving on Friday."

It was Tuesday. That gave me four days. Not even.

"Aren't you upset at all?" I asked her and then sat up. I felt too empty to fight anymore.

"Of course."

"Then why are you just sitting there?"

"I already tried to talk them out of it and if their little girl can't make them change their minds, then nobody can."

"Try harder, Cas. I can't move."

"Maybe it's a good thing."

"What are you talking about?"

"I don't know, Sam. I'm fifteen and I still don't have a boyfriend. I've heard country boys are hot."

"God, Cas. Since when do you side with mom and dad? I hate you."

I regretted my words as soon as I said them. That's when I started to cry.

After a while I heard Cassie whisper, "Do you want help packing?"

It was Friday... and it was raining. I guess that was Utah's way of saying goodbye. I was packing up the last of my stuff which was the stuff I'd purposely saved for last. It was all my stuff that had to do with Brandon; the birthday cards he'd given me, poems he'd written for me, presents, pictures of us or just him, and the dried out corsage he'd given me at prom. Those were the only things that I was going to have left of him after Utah was put behind me.

I piled all those things into their own suitcase and gently put them in the trunk of the car. We decided to drive all three vehicles to Michigan and not pay for a moving truck. I was driving the car. Mom got the van. And dad was going in the truck. Cassie decided to ride with me. She didn't realize that I was taking a detour. We were leaving a few minutes early. We had the mapquest directions, so I figured we'd be okay if we didn't catch up to mom and dad. I'd told them about what I was doing already. I yelled for Cassie to come up from downstairs and she confusedly got into the car. On the highway I took a left and a right and two more lefts. Then I was there. I stopped and put the car in park.

As slow as I could, I got out of the car and stepped onto his driveway. I walked up to the porch and knocked on the door.

Bryce answered.

"Hey Sam." He said glumly.

"I need to talk to you." I said.

"Okay. Come on in-"

"No thanks. This won't take long."

"Okay..."

"I'm, well, I mean my family and myself... we're moving." I paused. Bryce looked confused and said nothing. "To Michigan. Well, the UP."

He still said nothing until he finally realized what I meant. "When?" He asked.

"Now. I just thought I should tell you in person. Can you tell your parents to take care for me?"

"Yeah. I think." He stuttered. Bryce was kind of like a brother to me. I guess it was like telling my brother he'd never see me again. And his parents were even harder to face. They were like my second parents, as weird as it sounded.

"Well, I have to go. I'm sorry. You know I love you guys. And I'll miss you so much that you wouldn't even believe it." I reached out and hugged him. He hugged me back, but barely touched me. When I pulled back he looked worse than he had at the funeral, if that was possible.

I rushed out to the car and got in.

Samantha Thomas didn't know it, but when she left Bryce there on the porch he felt water brim over in his eyes. "So I have to loose my sister now, too, huh?" he said.

A couple minutes after leaving Brandon's I arrived at my next destination. I parked the car, but this time Cassie got out with me. We walked down the little path slowly until we were finally there. We both knelt down and prayed.

Brandon's grave was peaceful, even in the rain. There was a candle that had been blown out by the rain and wind. There were two types of flowers planted on either side of his grave. I pulled out the bouquet of roses that I'd brought and set it there, right in the middle. I waited until Cassie was in the car to say, "I love you." It was my last chance that I'd get in a while to say it to him. "Goodbye."

Then I walked around to the car, got in, and watched the cemetery, Brandon, and my little city disappear in my rearview.