Chapter 36-- Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops

Everything from this point on has the potential to be full of mistakes. I never proofread it...so if you see one, please let me know! And let me know what you think about this chapter....hoping for reactions!:) Thanks!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chapter 36 

     My hands shook as I frolicked with my phone, expecting the worst. Finally, I got it open and with my shaky hands, I answered it.

     “Hello?” I said into the phone weakly. I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

     “Hi, is this Samantha Thomas?” A lady with smooth voice asked into the phone.

     “Yes this is she.” I said professionally; robotically.

     “This is St. Mary’s Hospital in Layton, Utah. I’ve been asked to call you and inform you of the conditions of our patients; Bryce O’Connor.” I swallowed. When I said nothing, the woman said, “Are you there, hun?”

     “Y-yes.” I stuttered, already feeling my eyes well up with tears.

     “This isn’t easy to say, but last night Bryce was involved with a shooting incident.”

     “What?” I heard her words, but they didn’t make sense.

     “Bryce was shot last night in a house where a major drug break was discovered.”

     “Is he…okay?” I gulped and for the first time noticed the way Derek was looking at me. Derek’s expression finally threw me over the edge. My tears welled over while I tried to sound audible on the phone.

     “He has some major wounds, Samantha. It’s hard to say how this will turn out, but he’s still alive. He’s been unconscious since the incident, but his brain activity is high and we are thinking he will wake up.”

     “So he’ll be okay?”

     “He still has to undergo some major surgery. There are bullet fragments in places that have the potential to be vital. If they moved just a few centimeters during surgery it could create some complications.”

     “Oh.” I squawked.

     “I’m very sorry, dear…Mrs. O’Connor would like to speak to you. Is that okay?”

     “Yes, put her on.”

     When Mrs. O’Connor came near to the phone I could already tell she was crying harder than I was. It broke my heart to hear her like that and my healing scars ripped open. I burst into tears.

     “Samantha?” Mrs. O’Connor whispered. “Are you there.”

     “Yes I’m here.” I sobbed I fell into Derek, my knees going out from under me. Derek caught my fall and hugged me tightly to his chest from behind.

     “I hope you understand…” she trailed, “That I’m trying as hard as I can to b-be strong.” She lost her smooth voice and stuttered towards the end of what she was saying.

     “I know.” I told her soothingly. I swallowed back the lump in my throat and got out the question that really mattered to me. “How is he doing?”

     The words tore at my chest and when Derek realized my pain he grasped me even harder. He was almost suffocating me, but yet it was comforting.

     “He’s okay right now, but he’s going into surgery soon. From there…I don’t know.”

     “When?”

     “They’re looking at doing it tomorrow.” She whispered.

     I glanced up from Derek and in my moment of distress I had to make a decision. I could feel my heart throbbing throughout my whole body and I was pretty sure that Derek could feel it too. It very well may have been the biggest decision of my life.

     “I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

....Well?