FIFTY

CHAPTER 50 | A DEAL

WINTER had come, and that fact was never more evident than right now

Maia felt her stomach shake and rattle at the sight of the blizzard outside. She enjoyed snow – really, she did – but she did not enjoy the inevitability of the White Walkers charging their way. She was growing anxious, but was the kicks in her stomach nerves or simply an unborn child? She didn't want to think about that.

She kept her hand on the back of Ghost's head, who sat beside her. She had wanted to take him outside to play in the snow, unaware of how violent the blizzard was. Maia stood with the direwolf in the entrance of Winterfell, frowning. She then looked down at the wolf and said, "No outside for you today, boy."

Ghost whimpered, as if he understood her. She wished he did.

Maia knelt down beside the direwolf, who had grown quite fond of her. Even Jon was surprised at the sight of Ghost's liking of her. Ghost didn't like many people, but he liked Maia. Sometimes the wolf would follow her around the castle, waiting for a scratch on the head with her long nails, or for her to take a moment to play with him in the courtyard. Ghost was known to sleep in Jon and Maia's chambers every night, and he always laid right in front of their bed.

Maia stuck out her bottom lip towards Ghost. "I know you're used to the wilderness, but the snow's too bad. Don't need you falling in that deep snow pile and never coming out."

She laughed and Ghost responded with a lick to her face. Maia ruffled the top of the direwolf's head before proceeding to walk to her chambers. It was night-time, a glimpse of light still shined over the horizon, but was not seen due to the storm outside. Maia practically forced Aletia to retire from her duties for the night. She'd never be used to having a handmaiden.

As she walked ahead, Ghost followed. Maia walked past the dining hall, but stopped in her tracks for a moment. She could've sworn she saw someone in there from the corner of her eye, but who would be there at this hour? Maia took a few steps back and peered in the hall, only to see Petyr Baelish staring outside the barred window, watching the storm commence.

She stared at him for a minute, but was shocked to hear him say aloud, "It's not polite to stare, Lady Maia."

Maia jumped out of her skin at the call. Littlefinger turned towards her, causing Maia to send him a fake smile. She patted the top of Ghost's head and said, "Go off and see Jon, boy." The direwolf did as she commanded, and Maia stepped foot into the dining hall, taking small strides before she stood side-by-side with Petyr.

"Lord Baelish," she greeted, suspicion laced in her voice, "what are you doing at this late hour?"

"I suppose I should ask the same to you," Petyr smirked, "but I won't. It's best to keep some things to yourself."