SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER 17 | FAREWELL

SHIVERING from the cold, Maia and the brothers of the Night's Watch gathered around Maester Aemon's buried body

SHIVERING from the cold, Maia and the brothers of the Night's Watch gathered around Maester Aemon's buried body. Snowflakes dropped from the sky, floating onto the uncovered face that laid on the ground before them.

Maia stood in the back while all the brothers shared their respects up front. Sam prepared a speech, of course, but wasn't sure if he was going to make it through. Maia thought the same, even by just hearing him speak.

"His name was Aemon Targaryen," Sam spoke defiantly, holding a lit torch. "He came to us from King's Landing. A Maester of the Citadel, chained and sworn, and sworn brother of the Night's Watch, ever faithful. No man was wiser ... or gentler ... or kinder. At the Wall, a dozen Lord Commanders came and went during his years of service, but he was always there to council them."

He paused, allowing himself the time to suck in his sobs. "He was the blood of the dragon, but now his fire has gone out. And now his watch has ended."

"And now his watch has ended," the men around him repeated.

Gilly, while holding her baby, locked one of her arms with Maia's. Her eyes spoke the words, I'm here.

Sam lowered the torch in his hands, lighting one end of the maester's burial in flames. He then handed it to Ser Alliser beside him, who did the same. The brothers continued to pass around the torch until the whole funeral was lit up with fire. Even the snow above couldn't douse it.

Alliser slowly went up to Sam's ear as no one else was looking. "You're losing all your friends, Tarly."

Maia, who always had quick hearing, looked Alliser's way, sending him a glare.

Just as Sam was doing the same, she began glancing around at the men. Something had happened to them during the ceremony, though she didn't know what. They all looked different: angrier, full of vengeance. It was almost as if they had a plan.

•••

Maia grew to love Castle Black's library. Not only was it a good (and only) source for entertainment, but reading endlessly for hours was a distraction for her sadness. Gilly started to figure this out, so when she was looking for the blonde the next day, she knew exactly where to go.

She was snuggled in an old wooden chair, leaning over the table in front of her while a book rested on it. Maia had read over the book about the North that Jon had given her too many times, and she figured that during her missing him, this would help. Truthfully, it only made her miss him more.

Gilly ran down the stairs towards the library, her feet tapping against the stones. "There you are," she sighed. "I've been looking for you since last night! Sam got wounded by a couple of brothers because they had tried to ..." The former Wildling trailed off, refusing to think about the subject.

"It was probably Ser Robin and Ser Paolo." Maia presumed, holding her friend's hands in a way to console her. "How'd you find me?"

"I may be illiterate, but I am not stupid."

Maia chuckled, looking up but soon making a double-take at her friend. "I know that look," she said, pointing to the girl's face. Gilly blushed bright red. "Have you and Sam –?"

"Shh!" Gilly giggled, running over to the stool beside her friend. "No one can know."

"Who am I going to tell? My best friend, Ser Alliser?"

The Wildling shook her head. "It happened last night, after he saved me." She sat back with a smile. "I don't know, it just felt right. I felt right."

"That's great, Gilly," Maia grinned, but any sane person could tell it was false. "I'm really happy for you."

Gilly shook her head, eyes moving from the book in front of her friend and then back to her face. "Maia, you're not happy."

The blonde gaped. "I –"

"It's okay to be upset about Maester Aemon." She soothed, rubbing her hand on her friend's shoulder. Gilly had seen her yesterday; she knew how heartbroken Maia was. The maester had been one of the first people in Castle Black to treat her kindly.

Maia placed a bookmark in the novel she was reading with a sigh. "It's not just that. I guess, I ... miss –"

"Is it about your care for Jon?"

She narrowed her eyes, taking a moment before responding. "I don't –"

"You're not fooling anyone, Maia," Gilly chuckled. "Well, maybe some, but I knew from the moment Ser Alliser accused Jon for fraternizing with a woman living in Castle Black. Many were convinced it was Melisandre, but I knew better. You had this ... odd look in your eyes, plus you're not a good liar. Don't see this as a bad thing, because you are truly a source of happiness in his life."

Maia laid her chin on her fist. "You don't understand." She released a huff. "I don't even understand. Not just because of his vow to the Watch, but I generally cannot care for him. Though, I do, and I can't stop."

"What is stopping you?"

She didn't know how to reply. Maia felt her cheeks heat up. Was this the moment? She felt Gilly to be her truest friend at the castle. Surely, she'd understand ... maybe. She needed someone – anyone – to just understand. What about the repercussions? Clearly, it was a big subject to wrap your head around, especially for people in this world. God, she was taking so long to say something. The words were going to vomit out of her mouth –

"Gilly," she breathed, "if I tell you a secret, can you promise not to tell anyone?"

The Wildling raised a brow. "I promise."

Maia inhaled slowly. She needed to stay calm, because if she didn't, this was going to turn into a havoc. She reached over, taking Gilly's hand into her own. Her friend stared deep into her eyes, practically urging her to continue. Maia knew she was scaring her friend, but secrets such as this took time, and she knew Gilly was the only one she could trust with this information.

"I'm not from Westeros. I'm not from here." She paused. "I think I've fallen through time."