TWENTY EIGHT

CHAPTER 28 | THE BOLTON TREATMENT

TRIGGER WARNING: MENTIONS OFSEXUAL ASSAULT

SEXUAL ASSAULT

MAIA woke herself up as a loud snore escaped her lips. Thick furs and blankets covered her bare body in a cocoon, while one arm was laid outside and over Jon's shoulder blade. She fluttered her eyes open, immediately spotting her lover in the same state, his hair wild around his face.

After carefully reminding her that he was free of his Night's Watch duties, Jon used the heat of the fire to cox Maia into their first night together. They made love in front of the burning embers, nestled over a large blanket on the floor before moving to their mattress. He was never usually the one to make bold statements such as those, but with everything he had gone through thus far, Jon thought it was fair for him to have a night of happiness after retrieving his lady once again.

Maia reached out, gliding her hand across his face as he slept and pushed a few strands of hair from his eyes. She smiled as he continued to softly snore with his head practically buried in his pillow. She was so happy – too happy – and she knew that in this universe, that wouldn't last very long.

Eventually, Jon's eyes met her own when he woke up. He rubbed at his lids and sat up, muttering, "Good morning, miss time traveler."

Maia chuckled. "Just because I basically told you everything last night, doesn't mean you can make fun of me. And I can't travel through time, anyways."

Her expression changed as he turned to her, and she was able to catch a glimpse of the scars that littered his torso as he grabbed for his trousers. Maia swallowed a lump in her throat, still in disbelief that this was Jon – her Jon – and he was alive before her eyes.

"I believe I'm still not over that you were to be married when you were with me." He groaned, walking away from the bed and sliding on his breeches, as well as other various layers of clothing. "But, I guess I can forgive and forget."

"Truthfully, how are you so okay with me?" Maia sat up, watching her lover dress. "I lied to you for so long. How do we still care for each other?"

Jon proceeded to move towards her again. He cupped her cheeks in his hands and planted a kiss on her lips. She guessed that was the answer to her question.

He then grinned slightly, before letting it falter and moving away to capture his clothes. "As for your old betrothed, I'm sure he would agree."

She sighed. "He hates me now."

"I wonder why."

The two looked at each other, suddenly falling into a fit of laughter. Moments like these were too good, so Maia expected things to get bad fast. The worst part of it all: she didn't have Derek anymore, thus she had no knowledge of what would be happening in this world.