THIRTEEN

CHAPTER 13 | KILL THE BOY

DREAMS took Maia to her past that she was grateful to remember

She could just see the reflection of their television from the small kitchen. Maia looked to her left, washing the dish soap from her hands. She dropped the last clean plate in it's place before realizing Derek was screaming at whatever he was playing on the TV. She approached him from behind, resting her hands on their sofa and ruffling the top of her fiancé's hair.

"I forgot it was Sunday." She mused, kissing his head. "I'm guessing we aren't having that Star Trek movie marathon?"

He shook his head. "Not tonight, babe."

Maia huffed, plopping herself next to Derek on the couch. She tried to keep her attention on the screen, watching an incredibly choreographed fight scene occur – one full of blood, snow, and swords. She narrowed her eyes, knowing the exact show her fiancé watched every Sunday.

"So what's happening on tonight's Game of Thrones episode?"

Derek smirked her way. "Jon Snow's life – you remember him? – has just took a turn for the worst. Him and his Wildling friend, Tormund – I'm sure I told you about him – went to this fishing village called Hardhome full of other Wildlings to talk to their chieftains so they can pass through the Wall."

"And why would Mr. Jon Snow want that?" She raised a brow. "I remember you saying once that his Watch hated these Wildlings."

"He has a soft spot for them."

Maia turned back to the TV, absentmindedly running her fingers through Derek's hair. She watched this Jon Snow and his friends fight against an overwhelming army of ice zombies. "Doesn't seem like Hardhome turned out very well."

"Yeah," Derek agreed, watching Jon sail away on a boat from the fight. "Now all his friends are the living dead in icicle form."

"Do you think I would look good in icicle form?"

He only chuckled.

The television flashed to a scene of the Night's King raising his arms, lifting the thousands of dead Wildlings back to life as Jon stared in terror. Though Maia didn't know the point of this TV show her fiancé adored, she could feel the shiver run through both their bones at the look of the Night's King. It was a glower that said, "We're coming."

As if she were transported into that world, Maia suddenly felt their true fear. Why couldn't they have just watched Star Trek?

•••

"And though Daenerys maintains her grip on Slaver's Bay, forces rise against her from within and without. She refuses to leave until the freedom of the former slaves are secure."