TWENTY NINE

CHAPTER 29 | THE INEVITABLE

SANSA and Maia's fingers moved in sync as they threaded their needles into various fabrics

SANSA and Maia's fingers moved in sync as they threaded their needles into various fabrics. Sansa was currently making a new cloak for Jon, since he gave his old one to Ed. The red-head used a large, brown coat of fur on the top, one that would compliment Jon's features nicely, Maia noticed.

The two had gotten fairly close since they both arrived at Castle Black. Sansa was a perfect and gentle lady, but Maia was keen to notice her trauma underneath. Ramsay's letter was enough to explain things he did and will do to her. Sansa described these things anyways to Maia, already feeling an overwhelming trust for the blonde after realizing her history with Jon. She really felt that Maia understood, and was grateful for her patience.

Sansa held up the cloak for Maia to see, and the blonde marveled at the detail work she did. She said she learned it from her mother. "Would you like me to make you one as well, Maia? Jon has told me your wardrobe is quite ... different than most, so perhaps you would like a cloak to shield yourself from the weather."

Maia shook her head. For the first few days in the North, she had worn clothes brought in her pack. But after deciding she didn't need anymore attention drawn to herself, she accepted clothes given to her by Jon. "I don't want you overworked. I'm sure Jon is going to love his."

The sister smiled, continuing her work in her hands. Maia was trying to decide what thread color she wanted to use for the detail work on her new dress, when Sansa piped up again, "Can I ask you a question?"

She nodded.

"Do you love my brother?"

Maia looked up, noticing that Sansa was staring at her with interest. She set her materials down. "Yes, I am sure I do."

"I can't remember a time when anyone was in love with Jon." Sansa muttered. "Seeing you hold his hand yesterday ... it was something I'd never seen before. You make him happy, even in times of crisis. Thank you."

The blonde looked down at her hands, nodding slowly. The words of Ramsay's letter repeated in her subconscious and made a chill set within her. She was surprised when Sansa grabbed her hand a moment later.

"We are safe here, Maia. Jon will not let Ramsay touch you, or me." She released a soft smile. "Soon, we all will be in Winterfell. Jon and I must take back our home if we want to be safe forever. You must understand that."

Maia nodded, and she truly did understand. But there was something about the Boltons that genuinely scared her and she wasn't sure if she would ever feel safe again. As she was about to express her terror, a knock sounded at their door. Sansa turned, "Yes?"

"For you, m'lady." A Watch brother mumbled, handing her a letter.

Sansa's brow furrowed as she took the parchment into her own hands. The ink sigil binding it made her body tingle, causing Maia to grow confused while she opened it. Her eyes traveled across the words scratched onto the paper before looking up at the man who entered.

"How far is Mole's Town?"

•••

Maia threw her new dress on, doing a twirl for herself as she admired her handiwork. She used a beautiful, suede material in a maroon shade. A small amount of fur was applied to the collar of the dress as a hood was attached too. The fabrics were perfect to keep warm in the stormy weather outside.

Sansa had practically begged Maia to not tell Jon of her journey to Mole's Town that day. Though she had no idea what the visit meant to young Sansa, she had agreed anyway. The guilt of keeping a secret from Jon was slowly bubbling up in her chest.

She was in the process of throwing more wood into the fire in her room when Jon barged inside without knocking. Maia was startled by his sudden presence, causing her to stumble on the floor as she was bending for more wood. But Jon had not noticed at all, and continued to run his hands through his hair.

She stood up, trying to distract him by twirling in her dress once again. "Do you like it? I just finished this dress today!"

Jon was too busy whispering words to himself while holding his head in his hands. He sat on their shared mattress, rubbing at his temples.

"Are you alright?" She asked, walking towards him.

He shook his head. "No, Maia, I am not alright."

She furrowed her brow. "Well –"

"There's so much to do!" He stood from his spot as he began to pace in front of her. "Sansa wants to do so much. Ramsay will be closing in soon. I can't possibly do all this with the army I have. And I'm just ... I'm tired."

Maia spun him around to look at her. "Maybe there's some way I can help?" She watched Jon loft a brow. "I can join your army. I can help fight."

He laughed at her, shocked that she wasn't joining in with him. His chuckles lasted for one, long minute as Maia stared at him in disbelief. After his fit, Jon began to shake his head. "Are you serious? Absolutely not. Out of the question."

"But you just said you were worried about the army numbers you have," she reasoned as he walked away from her. "I can help you. I want to help. I won't let that Ramsay Bolton steal your home."

"You're not fighting, Maia!" Jon exclaimed. "You don't have any experience. I won't allow you to go out there and get yourself killed in battle. It's senseless."

Her hands tangled in her hair. "Why don't you teach me then? Why don't you teach me how to use a fucking sword, Jon?"

"There's no time!" Jon pointed a finger in her direction. "You're so stubborn, Gods sake. Trust my judgement for once. You haven't been here as long as I have."

Maia frowned at his words. "You won't let me help, but you're willing to let an army of people you barely know to die for you."

"I never said I wanted a fight in the first place."

She looked away, sitting down on her bed with a sigh. She understood Jon's point – it was rational – but she couldn't help but feel useless in this fight against the Boltons. She knew her purpose was for this universe, but what was her purpose in the wars to come? This was one of those moments that she could definitely use Derek's knowledge.

Jon was suddenly next to her, holding her face in his calloused hands. His eyes held nothing but worry. "I'm already terrified for your sake and my sister's, and the battle hasn't even begun." Maia's eyes fell at his words, but she nodded nonetheless. "He threatened to do so many things to you – to my family – and I'll be damned if I ever let him touch you. You're my life – my family – now, and you, Sansa, and Rickon are my only reasons for continuing this fight."

Maia pressed her lips to his own, relishing in his moment of truth before her. She was petrified for their future, but in the game of thrones, she knew you won or you died. Maia Sanders was determined to win, with her new family by her side. Her only hope was to have as little bloodshed as possible, but in Westeros, that was inevitable.

•••

A/N: For people who are gonna come at me saying, "Maia doesn't know anything about fighting!!!! She's acting stupid!!!!!!!!!!!" Ahem, that's the point.

She doesn't know shit about battles or what she's getting into, but she's still incredibly naïve to the likes of Westeros and wants to support Jon's cause in any way that she can, regardless that she doesn't know anything about fighting.

So yeah, okay, just so we're clear 👌🏻