TWENTY FIVE

CHAPTER 25 | THE DEEP END

"I can't believe you actually went off the deep end

"I can't believe you actually went off the deep end." Caroline mused. "I always thought you were the definition of perfect: tall, smart, blonde."

Maia swirled around the the liquid in her shot glass, sending her friend a glare. Alcohol didn't exactly mix with the medication her doctor prescribed, but it wasn't like she took it anyways. The bar stool she sat on creaked and hurt her, as the old eighties tunes blasted through Caroline's favorite bar.

The blonde was grateful for things she now had, she realized. She enjoyed having internet again, and television – especially, Netflix. She loved being able to shower everyday and the basic necessities that the modern age brought. She could travel using a car, rather than a horse. Her world had everything, except the one thing she needed.

It had been so long since she'd been with him, but if she'd learned anything from her research, it was that time moved faster where she was originally. She guessed the other universe had only spent a week, maybe two, without her.

"So," Caroline continued, downing the last of her shot, "have you been feeling any better?"

Maia turned with a confused expression. "I've told you before, Caroline: I'm fine."

"Yeah, but the problem is that you say that and then you completely disappear from me for more than six months."

Maia rolled her eyes.

"Have you talked with your family yet about the situation?"

The blonde shrugged. "My family hasn't called me since I left for college, so no."

Caroline sighed. "What happened to you? You used to be so much fun." She flagged down the bartender. "Can I get a Bud Light?"

Maia didn't want to answer. While she did agree with Caroline that she had changed, she wouldn't ever admit it.

"Is it ... Derek?" Caroline whispered. "Do you, like, miss him or something?"

Maia shook her head. "I'm happy for him. He's better; I'm better now. I heard him and his girlfriend are doing well."

"Just thought you'd be more down about it. It's almost like you weren't together for five years and engaged."

Maia's jaw set. Had she never noticed how annoying Caroline was before? Actually, yes, she most definitely had noticed. Maia had never thought of her as a real friend, maybe not even an acquaintance. Caroline had this agonizing tone about her, like she was always judging someone.

"Are you trying to make me feel bad about myself?"

Her friend's eyes met her own. She gave her a false pout. "I'm not trying anything. But c'mon, Maia. How can you not be upset? Did you really think you were on a romantic adventure with that bastard from an HBO show for months?"