FIFTY SEVEN

CHAPTER 57 | GRUMKINS AND SNARKS

WARNING: CHAPTER CROSSES OVER AND CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM MY OTHER GOT FIC, "HOWLING"

"THIS is all my fault. If it weren't for my persuasion, we wouldn't be prisoners here."

Maia sighed after her statement, resting her head on Jon's shoulder. After being told that they were confined by the lands of Dragonstone, the two decided that no one could stop them from venturing outside the castle. Dothraki watched from all sides of the castle, waiting for the pair to make a run for it. But they couldn't, especially without their boat. Maia and Jon stood on a grassy cliff, which was connected to the towers of Dragonstone. The grass was dying, but the view held so much more. The sight of the waves crashing onto the shore almost put Maia at ease.

"It's not your fault," Jon replied, squinting at the vast horizon. "All we wanted was dragonglass. We couldn't have known this would happen."

A new sound graced Maia's ears, and she turned to see Tyrion Lannister striding their way. His small legs stomped through the tall grass, and he looked at them as if he were disappointed. The wind blew his blonde locks in different directions. He then stood beside the two, and he exhaled. "I came down here to brood over my failure to predict the Greyjoy attack," he said. "You're making it difficult, Jon Snow. You look a lot better brooding than I do. You make me feel like a failure at my brooding failure. Honestly, my lady, how do you deal with this?"

Maia hummed in response as Jon quipped, "We're prisoners on this island."

"I wouldn't say you're both prisoners on this island," Tyrion tried to explain. "You're free to walk the castle, the beaches, to go wherever you want."

"What about our ship?" Maia snapped, turning towards Tyrion. She lofted her brow as her blonde hair was whisked off her shoulders. "You took our damn ship!"

Tyrion frowned. "I wouldn't say we took your ship –"

"I'm not going to play word games with you!" Jon interrupted. "The dead are coming for us all."

"Why don't you two figure out what to do about my missing fleet and murdered allies, and I'll figure out what to do about your walking dead men."

Maia put her hands on her hips. "This isn't to be debated, Lord Tyrion! Winter is here, and the White Walkers are coming for us all. It's not like this is some shit that Jon concocted in his mind. You can find research on the White Walkers in any book on the Children of the Forest."

"They are legends, Lady Maia –"

"It's hard for me to fathom, it really is!" Jon exclaimed. "If someone told me about the White Walkers and the Night King ..." He laid his head back, taking a deep breath. "You probably don't believe me. I wouldn't believe me." Jon hooked his arm around Maia's waist again, a comforting gesture that she appreciated. "I don't usually believe in things like this. Hell, I didn't even believe her when she told me she was this ... Traveler, and what she could do, and that got me betrayed."