The Date

The doorbell rang a few minutes later and of course, it was Niall.

I opened the door and a smile crept across his lips when he saw me. I’m not sure, but I think I smiled at him too.

“Well don’t you look dashing,” I greeted him in my best British accent. It was awful, but it made us both chuckle. I guess that’s a good way to start off a date.

“You look quite ravishing yourself,” he replied, also trying to do a British accent while leading me to a car parked in front of my Aunt and Uncle’s house before we drove off.

To where, though, I still didn’t know. But I wasn’t going to ask; I liked surprises.

“You know, I feel like you should just stick to your Irish accent. The British thing just wasn’t working for ya.” I joked with him as he opened my car door after we completed the short ride to what appeared to be an elegant restaurant.

“I’m not sure if I should take that as an insult or a compliment.” He joked back with a smirk.

“Hmm, go with compliment. Some girls find an accent like yours very charming.” I tried to flirt back, but I was no good.

“And are you one of those girls?” he questioned hopefully and held out his arm.

“Hmm, I guess you could say that.” I teased and grasped my hands around his arm.

We strut over to our table out on a balcony. The sun was beginning to set beyond the rolling hills and it radiated across the sky, changing it from its’ normal blue to enchanting shades of oranges and purples.

I was completely captivated by the dazzling scenery.

But I was soon snapped out of my trance-like enthrallment when the waiter asked us what we would like to order.

Until that moment, I hadn’t realized how hungry I was. After I rushed home this morning, I napped and got ready and hadn’t had much time to eat more than some crackers and fruit. Now I wish I made time for it because my stomach was howling for food like a wolf bays at the moon.

We ordered our food and made the usual small talk until our food arrived. And when it did, I dug into my spaghetti and shoved forkfuls into my mouth to tame my raging belly.

With a noodle hanging out of my mouth, I froze and looked up at Niall. He seemed quite entertained by my behavior, which I now feel insanely embarrassed about.

Why am I so bad at being normal? UGH. This is so embarrassing. How could I be so impolite and slobby? What is wrong with me!?

“Oh my gosh. I-” I started but was cut off.

“It’s good to see you aren’t one of those girls that’s afraid to eat in front of guys.” He chuckled. Good to know he wasn’t completely disgusted by table manners or lack thereof. “I hate when girls are shy when it comes to food.” Niall continued.