Surprises

His beautiful blue eyes stared deeply into mine.

I felt his hand on my cheek; his face leaned closer to mine.

“Having a nice day dream are we?” a voice rang as it walked into the kitchen by me.

The smile on my face faded.

 “Well, I was until you snapped me out of it.” I laughed. “Thanks for that Uncle Cal.”

I carried on eating my dinner and let my mind wander.

Should I have kissed him?

No, no. You were nervous. It’s okay that you didn’t want to kiss him.

But, I wanted to. I don’t know why I didn’t. Well, there go my chances of anything.

Just then, my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and thought someone was playing a prank on me.

I looked around the kitchen but didn’t see anyone.

With my phone still ringing, I checked the caller ID again. It read ‘Nialler (:’ and had a picture that he must’ve taken of himself at the cookout. But when did he get my phone?

“Hello?” I said curiously.

“Hello there beautiful,” Niall’s voice rang back. A smile spread across my face. I guess this isn’t a prank. “Have you got any plans for later?” he asked.

“Nope. I don’t believe I do.” I replied.

“Good. You do now.” I heard a little happiness in his voice. “I’ll be over to pick you up in an hour or so.”

“Alrighty, whatever you say.” I chuckled and chirped back to him before hanging up the phone.

Well, I guess I’m hanging out with Niall later?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So NOW can you tell me where we’re going?” I sweetly asked the Irish boy.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of his parked car and started leading me up a path in the woods for hikers.

“What? Not up for a hike?” he joked.

“Ha. Ha. Very funny.” I laughed back to him.

Guess he’s still not telling me. But I don’t mind. I sort of like surprises.

Anyways, we walked up the path for a bit before Niall got behind me and covered my eyes with his hands.

“We’re almost there, but I don’t want you to see it yet. I want it to be a surprise.” He told me.

“Just don’t let me trip over a rock or something.” I giggled back. “I can be quite the klutz you know.”

“Anybody who can do those flips like you did yesterday has got to have some kind of coordination.”

“Trust me, you’d be surprised.” I replied.

Our walk came to a stop and I could feel the evening sun on my skin and a slight breeze.

Where were we?

“Alright. We’re here.” Niall said as he uncovered my eyes, but still stood behind me.

We were standing on a beautiful hill with the woods behind us and a gorgeous sunset in front of us. In the distance, you could see tall grass billowing in the breeze and the tops of scattered trees swaying.

I looked down at my feet to see a blanket laid out in front of us.

“What’s this?” I asked, turning to look at Niall.

“Care to join me to watch the sunset?” he said while a beautiful smile danced in his lips.

“I’d love to,” I smiled back.

He sat down on the blanket and I sat next to him.

I leaned over and rested my head on his shoulder. His strong arm wrapped around my back and held me close to him.

“It’s so beautiful,” I sighed, in complete awe of the scenery.

“Yeah, it really is.” He replied. “My brother used to take me here all the time. Stuff like this makes you really appreciate the little things in life.”

“Amen to that,” I replied in agreement. “Your brother seems like a cool guy if he used to take you to beautiful places like this.”  

“Yeah, he’s great. The best brother a guy could ask for.” He said. “You got any brothers or sisters?” he asked me.

“Yeah, I have my sister Keela, my other sister Ryleigh, and my bro-” I stopped myself. No. No, Erin. Don’t bring that up now.

“You have a brother?” Niall asked, noticing me stop mid sentence.

I froze. Should I tell him? I feel like he should know. But I don’t really tell people about this.

“Yeah…” I trailed off. I guess I was going to tell him.

“What’s his name?” he asked curiously.

I took a deep breath and laid my head down on Niall’s lap, looking up at him while he looked down at me.

“Alroy.” I let out, choking back the tears.