Chapter 5: Trigger

Everything has a story behind it

Cindy's point of view

Everyone was talking loudly. Shouting, laughing out loud, teasing, playing guitar, singing, reading, writing, tapping their desk – all of these, its a usual scene in our classroom. Most of the time, I join people when they tell stories, but I'm not in the mood anymore.

Rowena and her group kept distance from us. Maybe she can't find a string to pull against me because of what John did to the football team. I still can feel her staring at me with her sharp eyes sometimes, trying to figure out how to take me down. I shrug her off. She doesn't deserve any attention from me.

I realized I was staring at the ceiling. The lights were bright. Funny thing is, there were no dreams that bothered me for the past two days.

Okay! For the last time, I've created my resolve to talk to Riza or Tom about any of the visions. The thing is, what if they're not real? They would think I'm delusional. Ugh!

I've been forcing myself to believe that none of those were real, but well, there's something about it.

The day came to past in a blur. I went home straight from school. I feel tired and exhausted that I postponed my Riza and Tom inquiry.

Nobody's home today. They're out of town – my parents, I mean. With all these stress I'm havig, I expected that I could sleep real fast. I was wrong.

Midnight – I'm still awake. Ugh! Then an idea struck my mind. I scanned the pile of cigarrettes my father had. I took a pack of Korean cigar. I know my father won't notice that a pack is missing.

I walked towards our veranda. The cigar was thin, but long. I took a deep breath and decided to light one.

The first inhale nearly choked me. I coughed but there was a relaxing feeling about it. I took another puff – and it came in naturally. The smoke entering my system somehow helped me to relax.

I couldn't figure out anything about the dreams. Somehow, inside me, I think it is awesome if its an ability. Puff. But are they in danger? Riza and Tom? Puff.

Suddenly, I felt something I'm not sure why. Its like I'm being watched. I whipped around, checking my surrounding. Its eerily silent – but I guess I'm just getting a little bit paranoid considering the events this past week.

I sighed.

That was when the light flickered. "God!" I swore. My eyes caught a moving image in my left. I turned, its full appearance revealed. He was good looking black haired guy. He wore a black coat that swayed with the wind. Then his eyes, it was blank, no iris. He has fangs! Wait! He has tails too!

I tried to scream but my voice was stuck on my throat. My body won't move either. It's like my feet are made of cement.

He's a meter away from me now. Tears are welling down my face. I closed my eyes. What am I gonna do? What am I gonna do?!!

I felt liquid splattered to my facce. I'm too scared to open my ees so I curled, sitting. I covered my face with my hands. I heard metals clanging and a monstrous shriek.

Then it was silent. Is this one of the dreams?

I opened my eyes. The guy was staring at me with wide eyes. And his throat!!

I stumbled back. I felt my stomach turn. His throat is slit. He breathe his last breath, then his body disappeared. Behind him was the wielder of the sword that slit the throat of the monster.