Chapter 49

"Are you sure you'll be fine in Chant?" Leo asked me for what seemed like the millionth time.

"She'll be fine." Dominic muttered, annoyed. He sounded sure but there was a question in his eyes. He so desperately wanted to believe that it was the best option. He needed to know he was moving in the right direction.

"I'll be with her." Maria sighed. I felt bad for her. I knew she wanted to be a part of the main battle but was stuck babysitting me. I'd tried to apologise for the situation but she had brushed it off.

"I won't be fine in Chant." Ariadne pouted. She was still recovering and Leo had decided to send her back with us. There had been a huge fight between the siblings.

Naturally, Ariadne wanted to go see Jace or atleast inform him of her whereabouts. Leo on the other hand believed that it wasn't safe to disclose that information to anybody in Ralia just yet. Maria and I had stayed out of it. We could see merit in both sides of the argument.

"We're not that bad Aria." I joked, trying to diffuse the situation before another argument began.

"That's not what I meant and you know it." Ariadne rolled her eyes but settled down in her carriage.

Dominic snuck his hand around my waist and pulled me flush to his side.

"You know the route." He spoke in a low voice, "I've sent scouts and soldiers to secure it. Nothing will happen. You will make it to Chant safely."

I nodded. There was such finality to his words this time. In the past when Dominic had made promises to keep me safe, he'd done so with intent. This time it was more than intent. He had thought of every little thing that could go wrong and had prepared accordingly. He wasn't leaving anything to chance.

"Yes." I whispered, "and you will win and come back to me safe and sound."

"I promise." He said, pecking my lips.

Leo cleared his throat and I knew it was time for the inevitable. It was time to leave. Maria and Ariadne's goodbyes were short and non fussy. I envied them. They believed with all their heart that Nish would be defeated, that we would successfully conquer the south.

It wasn't as if I didn't trust Dominic, but life had dealt me harsh lessons in the past and so there was still a doubt in my heart. I was afraid of being optimistic.

"When will I see you again?" I muttered, looking at our feet. It was hard to control my tears.

There was a chance that we would never see each other again and I was trying very hard to not let my mind wander to that particular scenario. The other outcomes weren't that appealing either.

If Dominic won, the amount of time it would take him was a huge variable. It could be days, weeks, months or ever years before I saw him again. My mind couldn't even comprehend what I'd go through if he lost.

It was easier to focus on the present. I also knew that once I returned to Chant, that was it. I was going to stay there till the final battle and wait for the outcome either way. So, I had decided to bury myself in Dominic's work and to do justice to his people. His shoes were too big to fill but I was ready to give my best.

My decision wasn't entirely selfless. I was hoping that working would give me some peace of mind. I was hoping that training on the field would tire me out enough to keep insomnia away.

"Sooner than you'd think." He smiled.

I couldn't speak. I hugged him tight, feeling his hard body against mine, breathing in his scent.

"I love you, Dominic. Please don't die." I choked back a sob.

"I won't." His voice sounded surprisingly gruff, "and I love you too."