Chapter 30

Leo rushed past us and helped Dominic lie down on the bed. Maria and I followed him.

"Why didn't you take him to the royal infirmary?" Maria frowned.

"I told him not to." Dominic gasped loudly for air.

"Stop talking." Leo was frustrated, "what's taking Cleo so long!?"

"I'll go get her." Maria ran out of the room.

I knelt on the floor besides Dominic.

"Stay away." He said to me and started coughing.

"What?" I whispered.

"He is probably delirious." Leo said, pressing down on the wound, "Don't listen to him."

"I don't want you..." Dominic choked out before breaking into another coughing fit.

I didn't know what to say to that and just stared at him.

"Stop. Talking." Leo growled at him, "concentrate on taking deep breaths."

"Infected." Dominic wheezed, completely ignoring Leo. "I don't want you infected."

"Oh." I sobbed and it made sense. He wanted to protect me even in such a state.

"I love you." He gave me a weak smile before closing his eyes.

"I love you too." I sobbed, "don't die on me."

He didn't answer, his head fell to his side and I looked at Leo.

"He is alive." Leo said, "that's what matters. He will be fine. Let him rest."

I nodded.

"She is here." Maria announced and Cleo made her way to Dominic. I stood up and got out of the way.

She cut his shirt methodically and started cleaning the wound. There were deep gashes all over his torso. The skin around them was green.

"This isn't good." Cleo put her hands over the wounds, closed her eyes and started chanting.

It was the first time I was looking at a healer in action. Despite the situation, I was awed. More than anything else though, I was hoping that it would work.

Soon, the wounds stopped bleeding. Even though they didn't heal, the skin around them was returning to its normal shade.

"He will heal." Cleo announced, taking her hands off the wound. She reached into her bag and began dressing the wounds.

"When will he wake up?" Leo asked.

"We will have to wait and see whether it will happen or not." Cleo answered sadly.

"What does that mean?" I asked her.

"He will heal physically." She took a deep breath, "but we don't know if he will wake up."

"He has to." I whispered.

"He will." Leo said confidently, "he has been through much worse."

"We can hope for the best, General." Cleo said. She left once she was done dressing up the wounds.

"What happens if he doesn't wake up?" I asked Leo.