Chapter 48

"Halt!" A yell from outside the carriage drew out attention.

I pulled back the curtain and saw about a dozen men in black ensembles, blocking our path. Judging by the amount of time we had travelled, I could tell that we were close to the south eastern border, but still surrounded by lush green trees without any village or city in sight.

Are these Dominic's men?

I was about to open the door and step out when Maria grabbed my hand and shook her head. I saw a blade glinting in her hand and unsheathed my own sword, desperately hoping that I wouldn't need it.

"Who goes there?" One of the men asked.

"This is Ralia's territory. We are part of the royal guard. You are in no position to question us." Our charioteer answered.

"Send for the general." One of the men in black said.

I looked at Maria but she shook her head once more.

"Not until he arrives." Maria muttered, "it could be a ploy."

My heart hammered in my chest out of anticipation. The wait was tense to say the least. Everyone on both sides was ready to strike at a moment's notice. As much as I hated to admit, Maria was correct. It could, indeed, be a trick.

"How are we getting out of here?" I asked, getting restless.

Before Maria could reply we heard a familiar voice.

"Gentlemen." Leo said, "there's no need for all this hostility. We're all friends here."

Maria cursed, gritting her teeth. I rushed out, my sword abandoned.

"Leo!" I cried out, overwhelmed to see him. He looked tired but alright for the most part, no major wounds in sight.

Dominic must be fine too...

"My Queen." He gave a bow, a huge smile plastered on his face. I hugged him tight then but my joy diminished instantaneously as guilt poured in and I started mouthing apologies for what happened to Ariadne.

"It's all good." He whispered cryptically before letting go of me and stepping forward to face Maria.

"General." She gave a curt nod.

"Maria I-"

"Where's the camp?" She asked, "I'm sure Seraphina wants to see her husband and other friends."

Other friends ?

"Right." Leo sighed, not wanting to deal with Maria's anger in front of us. It was probably a wise choice on his part.

"Any progress?" I asked Leo, as we walked to his camp. I was not going to spend another second in the carriage.

He looked at Ralia's royal guard for a split second before meeting my eyes. I gave a subtle nod in return, understanding his request. He didn't wish to discuss anything in front of them. A while ago, I would've called him paranoid but not anymore.

"Here we are." Leo said, gesturing to a tent.

I stepped in, fully expecting to find Dominic.

"What?!" I choked out.

"I was expecting a little bit more love." Ariadne answered, a wide grin on her face.

I couldn't believe it. She was sitting on a carpet, her left leg bandaged.

"How?" I was rooted to the spot.

"I ran away from my attackers." She explained, her tone turning apologetic. "I couldn't return to the palace though....even though I really wanted to."