Chapter 16

I heard a loud crash and turned to see that Dominic had kicked his desk over. Scrolls and ink lay on the floor. He clutched a chair in his hands as though it was his next target.

"Don't." His plea tugged at my heart.

"But you said you regret it." I sniffled.

"Because ever since you met me, all you've done is cry." He shut his eyes and his knuckles tightened.

That's when I took in his state. Stubble cover his face and his wavy hair was just an inch short from his shoulders. There were dark circles beneath his eyes. All in all, he looked extremely tired. I had the sudden urge of hugging him. 

"That isn't true." I frowned, "you gave me security, protection and luxury. I learned the true meaning of friendship and..."

Love.

He gazed at me as though trying to judge whether or not I was telling the truth. His grip on the chair eased and so I went on.

"I know it wasn't ideal..." I laughed. He was surely going to think that I was insane. "But I didn't even know if I could be happy after Henry died. I have hope now..."

Even though it is fading fast.

"I took away your freedom." He muttered.

"You saved me." I smiled, "do you know how many nights I have spent crying? Wishing and hoping, with all my heart, for someone...anyone who could take me away. I was too foolish to see that it was you."

"Sera..."

"You were everything I wished for." I wiped my tears but more followed.

"What did you wish for?" He cracked a little smile and I was relieved.

"Well..." I decided to tease him, "I hoped for a noble who would be brave enough to accept me and stand up to Nish. Not to mention, I was a thief."

"I couldn't have cared." He walked around the chair, close to me.

"Someone who treated me with respect and care. Someone who could protect me from drunk guards, princes and snake like men." I didn't know how but I managed to giggle and sob at the same moment. That caused him to chuckle as well.

"Go on." He urged softly.

"Someone who could accept me despite my past." I took a deep breath and mustered all the courage I had, "I was actually hopeful..."

"And suspicious." He added.

"Do you blame me?" I questioned and then sighed. "I owe you my life."

"Is that why you want to stay?" His smile vanished, "because you feel like you have a debt to pay?"

"No." I shook my head, "I would've been obliged to stay if I felt so. Right now, I want to stay for other reasons. "

"What reasons ?" He narrowed his eyes but there were traces of humour in there.

He wants me to spell it out for him.

"Well the palace is gorgeous." I gestured around, "who wouldn't want to live here?"

"Uh huh? I have many castles in Isolde. You could even return to the one in Beate."

Half-wit.

"Beluh makes the tastiest food."

"She learned from the best." He nodded, "Would you like to go to Jacinta? The territory is famous for producing the best chefs."

"I have friends here. Ariadne and Maria."

"And?" He came closer, invading my personal space.

"Leo..."