Chapter 19

"What?!" I gasped, feeling lightheaded.

"That is why the prince was after you, because you're his sister." He muttered, "I just received a letter from one of the spies."

Numbness creeped in, blocking the anxiety that threatened to rise. It felt as though I was no longer a part of what was happening, but just a bystander. The temporary defence was not strong enough to last but I calmed while it did.

"What does it say?"

"Princess Jenna ran towards Beate with her childhood friend. That is the last anyone knows of her. It makes sense. Nish took his revenge because your mother rejected him for someone who was inferior in status." He said, "Jace must not know what Nish did. That is why he was so determined to end my life."

Unacceptable.

"I won't let him end your life." I frowned, "if he truly is my cousin, he will listen to me."

"Thankyou." He chuckled.

I blushed, it dawned upon me that he did not need my protection.

"What if they go to war with us?" I whispered. "To get me."

"I don't think they will. I'll try my best to prevent it." He sighed.

"But what if they want me? What if they don't reason?" the panic was back and the force of it was enough to overcome the numbness.

He pulled back and looked down at me.

"Ralia may be a strong nation but so is Isolde." He cupped my face, "They will not go to war with us. I won't let it happen. Trust me."

"But Dominic..."

"Think about it. You're my wife now, they're your brothers. Even they understand how it works. Your rightful place is here. I'm not going to let you go unless it is you who asks."

"I'm not going to ask that." I rolled my eyes, "but you only married me to protect me."

"You are so stupid at times." He was irritated, "what part of I'm not going to let you go has eluded you?"

"Even if there is war?" I frowned.

"It won't happen." He was confident and so I nodded.

"What else does it say?" I gestured towards the letter.

He told me that there were details about her childhood, ranging from something so insignificant as her favourite food to the man she was allegedly in love with.

My father disappeared around the same time as my mother did, according to the letter. He had been the son of the royal advisor. My mother had decided to run away after her marriage was arranged to Nish.

"I don't understand why she ran towards Beate if she didn't want to marry Nish." I said, "and why would she go to the palace that night?"

"Perhaps he offered friendship and then tricked her." Dominic answered after a while, "perhaps he blackmailed her from the start. I don't know."

Nish's behaviour finally made sense. He was blinded by revenge, because my mother rejected him. It wasn't done simply because he hated me. He was not right by any means, but knowing why he did what he did gave me a strange sense of direction.