Chapter 31

He got off without giving me a response and started making the drink I was supposed to have.

"I didn't miss it on purpose." I sighed.

"Drink." He said and handed me a small cup. I obliged.

It was a pleasant surprise when I realised that the drink was palatable. I had been expecting the worst.

"Eat." He handed me a small piece of cheese.

"I don't want to." I grimaced. For some reason, the thought of eating was making me nauseous.

"I don't care." He answered, irritated.

"You haven't eaten either." I challenged.

"I am used to this." He said, "I've been forced to go without food for long periods of time before and I'm not the one who has trouble standing up straight so eat."

It was true. Apart from the bandages wrapped around his torso, he showed no signs of an injury. I took the small piece of cheese and ate it as quickly as I could. He brought the tray over to the bed and stared at me, expecting me to eat more.

"I don't want to." I repeated.

"Don't make me force you." He threatened.

"People can die by choking if they don't chew the food properly before swallowing." I faked a smile having no clue it the statement was true or not.

"Then I will chew it for you." He gave me a fake smile in return. 

The thought was disgusting but his expression cracked me up.

"You look so silly!" I laughed.

"I do mean it." He chuckled, sitting on the bed. "I'm not losing you to a bloody cough."

"How did you know ?" I looked at him wide eyed, hoping that he would fall for my little game.

"Know what?" He frowned.

"That the cough was bloody?" I put a hand over my mouth.

"Does Cleo know?" He got up, "is this even the right medicine?"

"Dominic-"

"How did this happen?" He raked a hand through his hair, "Are you coughing up a lot of blood?"

"I-"

"I don't trust your judgement." He said, narrowing his eyes at me. "I'm going to get Cleo."

"Stop!" I pushed myself off the bed and managed to make my way to him before my legs wobbled. He grabbed my arms to steady me.

"Sit down!" He hissed. That's when I burst out laughing. He looked at me as though I'd lost my mind before understanding what I was up to.

"Sorry." I choked out somewhere in between the laughter. His eyes softened and he gave me a small smile.

"You're going to pay for that." He promised, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

That sobered me up instantly.

"I'd like to eat." I gulped, trying to back away.

He didn't release me though. His hands glided down to my wrists, forming shackles around them.

"You've become quite an accomplished liar." He raised an eyebrow.

"Not at all." I meant to say it in a confident manner but it came out as the opposite. I sounded timid.