The Bird's Melody

Kankri's p.o.v.
-------

He opens the car door and I hop in. I wince at the underlying scent of smoke and he starts the engine.

...We just kissed. Not only we kissed, but I was the one who started it. Wow. What an audacious act on my part. What is the most mindbogglingly crazy thing, is that I had gathered the reliance to tell him to drive me home.

And here we are, sitting next to each other and having our smiles in our hands, our gazes away from each other. The sun is setting and his car seats are soft leather. I sink into them comfortably.

"You are one hell of a kisser." Cronus laughs a little. My face starts to heat up. "I hope that second time's a charm, huh?"

I clear my throat and stare at the road. "yes." I mumble.

"Hmmm what was that? I couldn't hear!" He puts his hand behind his fin.

"Yes." I say a little louder.

Cronus laughs and my smiles widens. "There he is."

We continue to drive on the road towards my neighborhood. The soft rumble of the engine starts to make me sleepy. I rest my head against the soft mesh of the window frame and close my eyes. I actually feel.. Warm and cozy? I feel like this, right here, in Cronus's smelly and comfortable car, is where I want to be forever. Right next to him and his smile.

I still feel a little conflicted, I'll give him that. But how could I forget his face and touch? When he first kissed me, it felt like a battle between thoughts of rejection and disgust, and acceptance and love. Right now I don't mind letting the latter win.

I hear the sound of the cd player clicking and my eyes open slowly to see the radio silencing and switching to whatever song he just put into the player. I frown. I really hope it's not rapping with vile profanity.

To my surprise, the song starts slow, and picks up with a fluid piano peice. The soft notes of the keys flutter in a familiar pattern. This seems alot different than what he normally listens to.. After some repeats of the piano's melody, the singer's voice starts to sing along with the piano. "I thought you were far away.. but when I look,.. oohhh when I turn I feel your body against mine. Why would the birds sing like that... if you are here with me? Ooohh~ It's because you are their melody..."

I look up at Cronus and a grin is on his face. "T-this is!" I stammer. Excitement is rushing through me.

"Yes.. I know." He glances at me and back at the road.

"How did you know my favorite song?" I ask him. As he continues  to drive, the chorus begins and the chello is introduced to the song, lacing perfectly with the singer's soft voice.

--------
Cronus's p.o.v.
--------

Actually, Porrim told Meenah, and Meenah told me. I remember her texting me, "play this when you guys get the bucket-fillin on, kay? ;)" but of course I am not going to do that. This gesture was only for the sake of romance.

"I heard it in your earbuds whenever you read your books." I lied. Yes, he does listen to music while reading, but I am not completely  sure is this was the song he listens to often. I guess I will just have to cross my fingers and hope I am right.

Kankri hums along to the song quiety. "Really? Well, I guess you caught me." Phew.

Once the song ends, Kankri plays it again. I purposely circle the block so that I can listen to Kankri hum more.

"Whyy... oohhh why would the birds sing like that.. if you are here with me?" My heart skips a beat as I hear Kankri's deep and perfect voice sings along to the chorus. I can barely hear him, but the lyrics become more angelic right in front of my eyes when his vocals are laced in them. "Oohhh... it's because you are their melody..."

I cover my flushed face with my hand and pull up to Kankri's driveway. The smooth piano stops playing and the song has ended. "We are here." I look at him and he looks at me. My fingers curl around the steering wheel and it is now dark outside.

"Thanks..." he mumbles and pulls his backpack over his shoulder.

When he opens my car door and starts to leave, I call out, "wait!"

Kankri turns around and pokes his head back in the car. I smile a little at his messy hair and lean in to kiss his cheek. I pull away and his face is completely red. "U-uh.. bye!" He waves and closes my car door. His hand is on his cheek and I can see a hint of his grin.

I pull out of his driveway and drive out of the neighborhood. Once I stop at a stop light, I jump around in my seat. My fist is shaking in the air and I can't stop smiling. "Yes!!"