Vampire Harry

Published: 2017-02-16
Part of the Throw a Penny in a Wishing Well series by TwistedImage on Archiveofourown.org.

Chapter Summary

              Vampire Harry
Harry is bitten in Volterra by a young member of the guard, who is killed for his crime. Because Harry is the Master of Death, he is unable to turn completely and is a half-way state that makes him strong than a human but not quite a strong as a full vampire. Though Aro quickly comes to fear and covet his abilities. Harry stays with the Volturi till a group of vampires and their human come for a visit. When Harry's eyes catch the gold of the honey blond male named Jasper...he feels his world shift slightly and knows that he must find a way to leave with them. Thankfully, Edward and Bella give him a reason to 'observe' the coven of vampires and ensure they come to a decision about the human.

Chapter Notes
Story is Harry/Jasper but it is pre-slash during this bit of story.

Volterra, Italy 2010:
When he hears Aro's unneeded gasp and exclamation that the human girl, Bella, is unharmed by Jane's gift, he finally becomes slightly more intrigued by what is going on. He had been staring at the honey blond male that stood with the presence of a soldier and the gorgeous male had claimed most of his attention away from Aro's irritating need for drama. Though living for as long as they did, he could understand the need for something to make the days less dull; he just wished Aro was less annoying.
He steps forward and pushes back his black hood, gaining the attention of most of the rooms occupants. He stands out from the other Volturi guard, who all wear black and greys, because his black acromantula silk cloak almost sucks in the light around it and the inner lining is a bold emerald green that makes the black stand out even more. His eyes a green that stand out among the room of blood red and golden.
The blond male, Jasper, twitches slightly and he can't help but smirk; before he had been completely hidden from the newcomers and the alert vampire hadn't noticed him. Now those dark golden eyes are locked on him and he can't resist giving the other vampire a small smirk and an obviously appreciative look.
"I would like to see if she can resist me as well, Aro," he requests, as he takes another silent step forward.
The ancient vampire claps in overdone excitement. "Ah! Of course, Haden. Indeed, maybe you will be able to where we weren't. You are the only other to be able to resist our gifts as well." Aro looks on with avid interest as Haden walks over to the human girl and the other Cullen vampires are focused intently on him. He wonders what the mind reader can get from the Volturi guard about him and imagines it is disturbing, as the fear on his face is easy to read. Vampires rarely give away their feelings through expression but this one does nothing to hide his fear.
Haden wonders what is so captivating about this particular human, that a vampire would give his life over her death. At first, he had wondered if they were mates but that wouldn't make sense as Aro had mentioned that her blood tempted the vampire, Edward. She isn't eye-catching in any way that he can see, even if he does prefer males he can see beauty in females but this girl is plain. Her scent doesn't stand out in any noticeable way, at least to him. But he supposes love or infatuation doesn't have only to do with looks but something must have gained the mind-reader's attention. Maybe it was the fact she could resist his gift, that would likely have been novel enough for a vampire use to being able to always know everyone's thoughts.
Edward tries to step in between Haden and the girl but he just waves a hand and pushes the vampire out of his way with a bit of magic. "Do not worry, I don't plan to grievously harm the girl." He doubted his words were very reassuring but he couldn't promise no pain, as invading someone's mind could be uncomfortable.
Then with a gentle hand, he grips her chin and draws her eyes to his. Her fear already filled the air around them and it only increased when she met his eyes and her heart beat harder, causing her blood to be that bit more appetizing. "This will not feel pleasant," he warns, before he casts himself into her mind.
Haden isn't surprised that there is a barrier but is surprised at the form it has taken. It seemed like a thin, hazy bit of membrane that allowed you to just glimpse that there was something on the other side but not what and it stretched at his mental touch. He took care to ensure that he did the barrier minimal harm and planned to fix any damage he made.
It was long minutes before he pulled out of her mind and he made sure to repair any lingering damage to her mind barriers, though they seemed to be repairing themselves. His skill in the Mind Arts had come far since his fifth year at Hogwarts and had become even more advanced when he had been bitten. He was now able to read a person's mind much like a book, unlike what Snape had said.
"Hmm...interesting," though honestly it wasn't but he didn't mind occasionally pandering to Aro's love of theatrics. He took a couple steps back from the girl and could see the flash of fear and anger that raced through her eyes. She wasn't pleased that he could read her mind and he didn't bother to hide his smirk.
"And were you able to read her mind, dear Haden?" Aro asked from right behind him, the vampire's hand not quite touching him. The ancient vampire knew better than to touch him without permission and even if he did, he wouldn't be allowed past Haden's mind barriers.
"Of course, and I know why she was able to resist you and Jane. But before I answer..." Haden moved in front of Edward and froze the vampire in place before quickly diving into his mind. This didn't take as much time, even if the vampire had more memoires, because Edward had no mind shields.
When he was done with his perusal, he stepped back beside Aro and slipped his hand into the ancient vampire's and allowed the curious vampire a glimpse of what he had seen. He noticed Demetri holding the seer, Alice, and Felix had his arms wrapped around the blond vampire, Jasper, keeping them in place. The barely there stunned look on Demetri's face caught his attention for a second before he turned back to Edward.
"The girl yearns for immortality and beauty, she has no wish to grow old. Much like any teenager, she wishes to be something other than plain and boring." Haden ignored the protest from the human girl. "She does not love him?" Aro asked with a faked curiosity, even if he had seen what Haden had, the ancient much preferred dramatics.
"Perhaps. At least, that is what she believes but I would more likely call it obsession and his is no different. Admittedly, vampires are much more prone to obsession and possessiveness, than a human. She came to love him after finding out what he was. She thought it much like one of her fanciful novels, to have caught the attention of such a being and wishes to live some charmed immortal life with him. She cares little for the things she would lose in becoming a vampire, such as her mother and father. Then, we have Edward. He is completely obsessed with her blood, he wishes to keep her and thus it. Not to mention, he sees this as some test of his humanity; being able to resist his singer. I wonder who forgot to tell him not to play with his food. It is rather strange to be so infatuated with your singer, in this way. I had assumed she was your mate, to so willingly cast aside your life." It was so strange, even to Haden. Magical vampires dealt with singers in a very different way, that wasn't available to non-magical vampires.
"She is!" "I am!"
Haden shakes his head at the idiotic pair. "As your singer, she cannot be your fated mate. Her blood would not call to you as it does if she was your mate. You would not need to fight with yourself to not kill her and you would have likely already turned her. You can love her, of course, though what I have seen between you two is far from healthy and not something I would encourage. You literally stalked a 16-year-old girl and watched her sleep, that screams boundary issues and pedophilia; the fact that she didn't protest, makes her stupid and naïve. Her father is a cop and I would have thought he would have taught her better but she somehow believes your behavior to be romantic. That she allows you to treat her as you do, says nothing good and is borderline abusive. Maybe it has to do with him being turned at 16, a time when lust and love are so easily mistaken and they are known to rebel at that age and ignore advice." Haden informs the watching vampires before pondering the last aloud.
"And how she is able to resist our gifts?" The interest is clear in the Aro's voice.
Haden held back a sigh, this would only cause Aro to be more interested in the human girl. "She has but a touch of magic in her blood, from a line of squibs I believe, and is a natural Occlumens. I could bypass it because of my training in Legilimency. I would imagine if she were turned that it could be a formidable defensive gift," Haden added the last because Aro would be interested in such information.
"So very interesting. Did you learn anything else from them?" Aro looked quite delighted and his smile bordered on creepy. The ancient vampire was always on the lookout for gifted vampires and even though Bella had a defensive gift, that didn't mean Aro would not like to collect her.
"A few things but I am most curious about Edward's belief that vampires are soulless monsters, especially as he was sired by one of the more compassionate being I've heard of. I have seen someone who was soulless and they were nothing but a shell. Watching their soul sucked from their bodies, gives me chills even now." Haden locked his eyes with Edward's, "I can assure you that all vampires have souls and their ability to be so detached when they kill humans is nothing but a defense mechanism, so they can feed. You would not condemn humans from killing cows to eat but you would condemn vampires from doing the same?"
"We're killers," Edward proclaimed, as if that was the only argument that he needed.
"Of course, vampires are predators but so are humans. Vampires kill to eat, just like humans. Though your coven shows that there are other paths but you shouldn't condemn other vampires because of what they eat or act like it makes you soulless. Think of all the atrocities that humans have committed, yet they have souls," Haden stated. He knew that vampires had souls, whether they be monsters was another matter. Some were and some weren't; the same as magicals, muggles, werewolves, and any manner of other beings. It was easy to see that Edward didn't want to believe him, so sure in his belief about vampires and himself.
Aro asked aloud what they would do with Bella. Caius and Marcus believed she should be killed, which Edward vocally protested. Aro was obviously reluctant as well but that was only because he wished for Bella to be turned and join the Volturi guard and hopefully bring along Edward, as well. Though the suggestion to turn her was equally protested by Edward. Couldn't seem to satisfy this one.
Bella stayed silent and kept glancing at Haden. The girl had been very glad when she had found out that she was immune to Edward's gift and then Aro's; she had been far from pleased that Haden could do what they couldn't. Haden wondered if Edward would have been so draw to her if he had been able to read her mind from the start. It was no different from any other self-involved teenager.
"Why are you so against turning her? She will not lose her soul and it is something she wants. You do not have to worry about her parents, as she has little regard for either in this matter. Something I find distasteful. Nor does it bother her that she would be unable to have children as a vampire, as she would prefer not to have them since she feels she spent most of her childhood taking care of her own mother. Is it that you will lose the scent of her blood, something you've become so possessive of? Once she is turned, she will no longer be your singer but maybe her ability to shield her mind will be enough to keep your attention once the lust for her blood wanes. You may not be mates but that doesn't mean you couldn't continue your unhealthy obsession with each other. You could be together truly...marry even," Haden offers slyly. He can hardly hold his smirk at the doubt he is placing in both of their minds. The pair seems hardly suited and would be unlikely to make it a decade, though their stubbornness may keep them miserably together. It will be interesting to watch. Haden didn't particularly like the girl, as she was so willing to walk away from her family just to live forever.
Edward still refused to turn her, which didn't make Bella happy. Haden wondered why Edward felt it was his decision if Bella was turned. He figured the century old vampire needed a 'my body, my choice' speech and a good smack on the head.
"There are other options," Haden quietly offers, stilling the rising argument between Edward and Aro. "If you are so unwilling to turn her, she could be turned by the Volturi if she wishes."
"No!" The bronze hair vampire protested violently, taking a step forward and pushing Bella behind him.
"But it is not your decision. It is hers alone and I'm not sure why you think you have a say in what she does with her body because you do not. Or I could compel her to be unable to tell any that are unaware of the supernatural about vampires, this could work till it is decided if she will be turned. If it is decided she won't be, then a more permanent solution could be found; one that doesn't include her death. That is if the Volturi kings agree to such a thing," Haden turns toward Aro and the other two kings, both who look like they wished this business was over.
Aro claps and his eyes shine with greed at the idea of Bella being turned. "Excellent! That could work, at least till they make a choice. Your presence gives us so many more options, Haden," the ancient vampire compliments. "Does that work with you?" The vampire directs the question at Edward but it is obvious that the decision has been made.
The details are worked out before Haden is instructed to compel the human girl into not spilling their secret to those who aren't in the know. He makes it even more binding by including all supernatural beings. Bella will not be able to talk about vampires or any other non-human beings to those who are unaware of them.
Once the meeting starts to come to a close, Haden requests that he and Demetri be allowed to go with the Cullens to keep an eye on them and make sure a decision will be made soon about Bella. This is easily agreed upon and Haden makes sure to not show just how eager he is to follow the vegetarian coven.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Haden and Demetri are given a short time to pack before they leave with the Cullen coven. Aro had given them permission to use the personal jet, so they did not have to worry about missing their flight.
"Did you feel it as well, Demi?" Haden asks his companion. They had been lovers almost since Haden joined the Volturi and had become close friends over the two years that he had been there.
"Yes. I saw how you looked at the soldier," Demetri's eyes hold a wicked gleam.
"And the way you seemed captivated by the little seer. She is definitely cute, not my type but still very pretty. You obviously have a type," Haden teases gently. "I wonder if they will be open to it."
Demetri presses a kiss to his temple before answering. "We will soon find out, piccolo morte."
"Prat," Haden shoved Demetri at the nickname before shrinking his packed trunk that held both of their stuff and slipping it into his pocket.
The pair knew each other well and Haden wasn't wasting an opportunity to get Demetri away from Volterra for a while. Once they had become lovers, Haden had taught Demetri how to build shields in his mind, so that he could more securely hide thoughts from Aro and that had helped weaken the false bonds that Chelsea used to keep him loyal to the Volturi kings; most of all Aro. Along with Corin's ability to make the guards feel content. Those two ensured that the guard stayed loyal to the kings and didn't leave, once they had been acquired.
Haden knew quite a few secrets about the kings and the most damning was that Aro had killed his sister and Marcus's mate, Didyme. He liked the taciturn vampire and thought it entirely cruel and selfish that Aro kept the vampire around when Marcus wanted nothing more than to join his deceased mate. The pair had been together for over a thousand before she was killed and with her death, she had taken all of Marcus' desire to live.
Though he had yet to reveal that secret, he planned to but it had to be at the right moment. He wondered what chaos it would cause and knew that it could likely be the end of the Volturi kings. Marcus wouldn't stand for Aro being alive and would likely kill Aro's mate, as well. Caius was an unknown, he was aloof and slightly cruel but wasn't near as power hungry as Aro and was content to sit in Volterra and let the decades and centuries pass him by. It didn't stop him from reminding Haden of the Malfoys and he was almost positive the man was a distance ancestor. Yet, Haden held onto the information because the Volturi was needed or at least a governing body was required to keep muggle vampires in check. It was an issue that plagued his thoughts but he knew he would find a way to either replace the Volturi or ensure Aro's actions were stopped.
Haden had been intrigued and curious about the Volturi since he had woken in a soft bed after being bitten by a lower guard, who was now nothing but ash blown away in the wind. The young guard had seen Haden cast magic two years ago, and before he knew what was happening, Haden had been bitten. Aro had been displeased that the guard had gone against rules to not attack anyone in Volturi or that he could have brought the weight of the magical world down upon the Volturi because of his target. Yet had been pleased that a fully trained wizard had been turned and chosen to stay with the guard. Not all magicals kept their full magic when turned and Haden had to be different even from them because he hadn't turned completely, though that was because of the three Hallows he had inadvertently come into the possession of.
Aro had come to fear Haden because of his abilities but had yet to try to have him killed because he felt that Haden was a centerpiece for the Volturi guard and yearned for his loyalty. Something Haden would never give to the power-hungry vampire and had been trying to devise a way to dispose of the ancient vampire, who had forgotten the true purpose of the Volturi; a power that was meant to keep vampires in check and out of human sight, not to create slights and use those to slaughter covens just to collect gifted vampires. Something that had happened to Demetri's coven centuries before.
As the pair were walking out of the door to their shared suite of rooms, Demetri caught Haden's arm in his before pulling him into a gentle kiss. "I hope they are open to a bond but if they are not, then I would not be sad if we spent our lives together."
Haden smiled at Demetri's words before giving him another chaste kiss. "Neither would I." He tangled their fingers together before continuing on. He had come to love the vampire beside him and he would not mind spending their lives together, though being denied their mates would be painful. It was intriguing that their mates were also a pair, though they had been together much longer than Haden and Demetri.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Haden and Demetri settled in comfortably on the jet and watched gleefully at how awkward Edward and Bella were together. There was an obvious tension between them as they seat themselves away from everyone else. Bella's anger was becoming more apparent, the longer she was in Edward's presence.
If Haden were Bella, shudder the thought, he would make Edward grovel for the way he lied and left; though Haden wouldn't have acted like a comatose zombie for months, no matter who left him. If there was one thing that he did...it was survive.
"I saw you but not you," Alice's voice breaks in Haden's thoughts and sees she is pointing at Demetri after pointing at himself. Haden quickly raises a few privacy charms to keep Edward from hearing what they are talking about and from gleaning it from his coven mate's minds.
"Maybe you were not meant to see him, so it would be a surprise," Haden offers, as he sees Alice's companion Jasper glance at her before locking eyes with Haden.
"You saw him? That's why you insisted I come along," Jasper has a southern drawl that has lingered, which is rather attractive, and Haden can't help but hope to hear more of it. Possibly whispered in his ear, as they do unspeakably naughty things to each other.
At least, the other vampires had felt the mate bond as well, it gave Haden hope. While a vampire could easily live without their mate, if they had never met, and could even survive being rejected, it wasn't a painless process. Though it was another story for a broken bond that had been sealed, such as Marcus' with his now dead mate.
"Yep," Alice agrees as she and Demetri stare at each other with curiosity. Demetri has a hint of smile lingering on his lips that looks rather self-satisfied, the smug bastard.
It doesn't take long for the conversation to turn to Haden and what exactly he is because he had dropped the spell that had hidden his heartbeat, which was incredibly slow but still noticeable to vampire hearing.