A visit from Skeldergate

“I want you to go to Wedgemore”

The prince looked at his mother, a concerned look on her face

“Oh, why mother?” he groaned “I’ve already reinforced the cost guard, today I’ll talk to the archers, the miners and sculptors that work on those tricky stoned places in the coast… Everything is under control”

“No, Robert. It is not about that. If your theory is right, then they might attack. You can avoid that. Offer help to Wedgemore”

Prince Robert looked away “Oh, mother I’m not particularly nice offering help.” He sighed “I don’t offer, people ask me for it. There is a difference”

The Queen stood up “You see, my son, I do not care, you should do this. You know I am right.”

The Prince took a deep breath “Just… give me some time, ok?”

“Do not think too much” The Queen left the room.

Diana stood up very early in the morning. Her body was still sore, she still had some scratches and a big headache that did not seem to go away. She had to deal with that during the day, though.

She cleaned, once again, her wounds, she knew how to do basic treatments. An older maid that once worked with her had taught her many things.

When she was over, she immediately went to the kitchen to prepare the breakfast for the Queen and the Princesses. She knew they would be down to eat soon.

And she wasn’t wrong.

Just as she was finishing, she heard her name being yelled.

Why do they always yell at me? Diana thought, I do not have hearing problems!

She quickly organized the big tray and walked to the royal dining-room, where they had their meals.

“I am excited to hear what the Skeldergateans have to say” Princess Janet said with a smile

“Do you think they will offer us some help, mother?” Princess Alice spoke

The Queen took a gulp before answering “Perhaps”

“Is Prince Leofrick handsome, mother?” Princess Ryia asked

“I do not know, Ryia!” The queen said “The last time I’ve been in Skeldergate or with someone from there their prince was a child”

“Which kingdoms do you know the better, mom?” Princess Alice said, interested

 “I do not know them very well. All I know is the same you learn in history classes. Stonegate is the kingdom to fear the most. But, as you know, Wedgemore was always peaceful and kept away from their wars. We’re an island. Not part of the continent. I do not know why there is this sudden interest in taking this kingdom”

“Oh, I know” Princess Ryia smiled “That is because of us, obviously, mother”

Princess Janet smiled widely “That makes perfectly sense! We’re grown up now, mother! Maybe all those… Princes… are now interested”

Princess Alice spoke “I agree, but you can keep dreaming, ladies. I am the oldest” She smiled wickedly

Diana kept silent as she served them, not knowing whether to laugh or feel sorry for them and their ignorance.

As she walked back to the kitchen, she heard the Main Hall doors opening and a young guard entering, seeing her immediately.

“The queen is available right now?” He asked Diana