Chapter 14

Every time we passed the third floor corridor the following week, we pressed our ears to the door, but every time we did we would still hear the three headed dog growling inside. Whenever we passed Quirrell in the halls we would give him an encouraging smile and whenever someone made fun of Quirrell’s smile Ron would tell him off. However, Hermione was only worrying about the exams. She was making up study schedules and highlighting her notes. “But Hermione! The exams are weeks away!” I whined to her during one of our study sessions in the library. “It’s not that long; it would only be like a second for Nicolas Flamel.” She replied back to me while checking out about 1200 books. “Yeah but we aren’t 600 years old.” I said. “Anyways, you don’t need to study this early!” She turned around abruptly, causing all of her books to topple over. “Lucy, do you not realize that we need to pass these exams to get into second year? They are very important; I really should have started a month ago!” She exclaimed, picking up her books.

Unfortunately, the teachers were thinking the same thing as Hermione. They piled on so much homework that most of our free time was spent in the Library with Hermione. One afternoon when Harry, Ron, Hermione and I were sitting in the library with our noses in library books, Hagrid came in hiding something behind his back. “Hagrid, what are you doing in the library?” Ron asked. He looked rather sketchy in his big moleskin coat. “Just looking. And what would you four be up to? Still not looking for Flamel are you?” Hagrid said. “Oh we found that ages ago!” Ron said puffing out his chest. I hit him with a book and said, “Oh stop being so bloody proud, Ron!” I turned to Hagrid and said. “Go on then Hagrid.” I said. He nodded and said, “Well, I best be getting off then!” Hagrid mumbled and shuffled off.

“I’m gonna go follow him and see what section he was going to.” I said and pulled Ron off with me.

We walked for a little bit, stopping to “look at books” so it didn’t look like we were following Hagrid. He stopped at the dragon’s isle and I gasped.  We quickly grabbed the books that Hagrid had paused at and brought them back. Ron refused to let me carry any (The gentleman) and so when we got back to the table he spread them out on the table.

“Hagrid’s always wanted a dragon. He said it when we met him” I said as we let Harry and Hermione read the titles. “Yeah, but you can’t breed dragons, it’s against our laws!” Ron said. Hermione said worriedly “Then what on earth is Hagrid up to?”

Later that day as we walked up the path to Hagrid’s hut, surprisingly all the curtains were closed. When we walked up to Hagrid’s door he pulled us inside and shut the door quickly. It was super-hot inside the hut even though it was warm outside. Hagrid made us tea and sandwiches which we politely refused. I spaced out while the boys and Hermione were trying to get Hagrid to admit something about the stone, with Hermione talking in a flattering voice. I turned around to see Hagrid’s chest puffed out with pride and Ron looking at Hermione with a dazed look in his eye. I smiled at that but when I saw what was right behind them in the fire place I gasped.

“Hagrid! Is that what I think it is?” I asked in astonishment. In fact, sitting in the grate was a huge, black, dragon’s egg. “Where did you get it?” Ron asked, staring at the egg in wonder. “I won it last night. I was down in the village and I won it in a game of cards with a stranger.” Hagrid said. “But what are you going to do when it hatches? Hermione said. “Well I got this from the library. Keep it in the fire and when it comes out, feed it brandy mixed with blood.” Hagrid was beaming at this point, obviously proud of himself. Hermione was not that proud. On the other hand she look worried. “Hagrid, you live in a wooden house!” But Hagrid wasn’t looking. He was happily stoking the fire.

At breakfast the next day Hedwig came down and brought Harry a note. I reached over and stroked Hedwig and fed her a piece of toast. Harry showed me the note and I showed it to Ron who showed it to Hermione. The note simply said: Its hatching.