Chapter 16 - Calm before the Gale

Blue flames roar and burn the three candle to a waxy mess. Rin messed up again. The teenager sighed in disappointment.

"How long do I have to keep doing this?" Rin asked looking over at Yukio.

"Until you can control you're flames at will." Yukio answered looking away from his book to Rin.

Rin blew the blue flames out ready to replace the candles again and start the test all over again.

"Are you suppose to be doing nothing?" Rin asked.

"Of course, I want to join the hunt for Gale." Yukio said reading through his book. "But I've been ordered to watch over you."

Rin got up and walked over to Yukio. He placed a on Yukio's shoulder.

"Then... Let's go demon hunting together!" Rin chirped with a thumbs up.

Yukio slapped the hand away. "You really don't get it. You have no time! Don't think you can fool around-" Yukio suddenly flinched and pulled a face. He looked ill.

"What's wrong?" Rin said concerned.

Yukio pushed past him. "Nothing. Now continue your training." Yukio said in a hollow voice.

"Yes sir." Rin said in slightly annoyed voice with a goofy face.

Yukio walked out of the classroom and to the bathroom. Rin waited a few seconds till Yukio was gone. A devious expression appeared on his face.

"Like hell. The real thing is the best training." Rin looked over to the window and jumped up to climb. "Maybe I could catch up with Allen and we can get the demon together."

Footsteps alerted Rin. Assuming it was Yukio Rin fell to the ground with a yelp. He hissed a little in pain.

"Its not what you think Yukio! I wasn't trying to running away..." Rin said in a comedic panic. He stopped and saw it wasn't Yukio, it was Konekomaru. "Don't scare me like that..."

Rin looks up at Konekomaru. His expression changed from relieved to shock. He could see the demon Gale hovering above the shoulder of Konekomaru. Blood red eyes peer at him.

At the same time Yukio puts his shirt back on in the boy's bathroom. For a brief moment, strange black and purple spots are on his arm. He buttons his shirt up with a serious look of concern on his face. He flinched a little when he heard voices.

"I can't take it this, my legs are giving in." Shima complained walking in. He and Bon walked into the bathroom.

"Ah Professor." Bon said seeing Yukio. Yukio had put his tie back on.

"Oh, you're back. It must be hot out there." Yukio said turning to smile at them. "I just washed myself too."

"I should wash my face too." Shima groaned leaning over the sink.

"The barriers West of the school and the front gate are okay." Bon reported. He looked tired like Shima too.

"Nice job." Yukio smiled.

Konekomaru's scream filters through into the bathroom. Yukio and Bon run into action.

"What the hell? Wait for me!" Shima exclaimed following them.

They run out into the hallway to see Konekomaru running down the hallway towards them. The weak boy collapses to the ground. Bon shouts his name and runs to his side.

"I don't get it! Okumura suddenly..."

Rin walked out of the classroom. His body is covered in blue flames and his sword is unsheathed.