Chapter 2

2 years later

Finally I was coming home to Florida after 2 long years in North Carolina. I was going to finish my college career at FSU. As I walked through the airport I saw a familiar shining face with paparazzi around him. It was non other than the man himself Jake Miller. I thought about the last time I saw him, his music career was just taking off and his hair was shorter. I was starring at him just like everybody else in the airport was but, he looked at me. He stared at me straight in my eyes. He gave me his Jake stare, the stare that sends chills down your spine. He probably didn't recognize me considering I dyed my hair blonde while in NC. He just kept walking, and so did I. Until I heard my name being called through the airport.

“LEXI,” I knew that voice anywhere, I turned and stood face to face with the guy I hated, the guy I told to never speak to me again. There was paparazzi everywhere, blinding me with the flashes.

“Could we talk, somewhere more private?” Jake asked, sincerity in his voice. I didn't know what to say. So, I did what any hard headed 20 year old would do, I walked away. As I rolled my luggage farther and farther from Jake I kept hearing him call me. But, he was too late.

After I had settled into my new apartment I decided to go and surprise my mom. I hadn't seen her since last Christmas so I got in my car and drove to the house I grew up in. As I was turning down the street I saw the same flashing camera lights I saw in the airport. Jake lived next door to my mom, I knew that but I didn't know the paps knew. I parked my car in the driveway and shut the door, next thing I knew the paparazzi was following me up to the door. 

“Are you Jake’s ex?”

“Why did he want to speak with you?”

“Did you guys used to be friends?”

“Used to be,” I thought. I knocked on the door and my mother answered looking shocked. I grabbed her and sighed in relief I hugged her as tight as I’ve ever hugged anyone.

“Jesus, Lexi are you trying to kill me?” my mom laughed shutting the door behind me.

“Mom,” I laughed, “you know I love you.”

“Lexi, I need to talk to you about something,” my mother sighed.

“Mom, what is it? is everything ok?” I asked trying not to seem nervous.

“I need you to talk to Jake, now before you say no I want you to think about this I mean he is your best friend Lexi for God’s sake it’s been two years let it go, he needs you, he misses you. I want you to walk next door and talk to him, he came here crying after you walked away from him in the airport, Lex, he loves you.” 

I felt like somebody just shoved a knife through my chest. I walked to the door opened it up and slammed it shut. I stomped over to Jake’s and knocked on the door feeling nervous. The door opened and I saw her.

“What do you want?” Madison snarled. 

“To talk to Jake, where is he?” I demanded.

“Madison who is that?” I heard Jake call out.

Jake walked to the door and dropped the mail that was in his hands. “Lexi,” he sighed “Hey come in. 

“No, not while she’s here if you want to talk to me ‘in private’ you could make your way over to my apartment. I refuse to be in the same room as her.” And there I went walking right out of Jake’s life again.