Chapter Eighteen *Edited

© Amber Kalkes 2014

*Song Of The Chapter: "Something Is Not Right With Me" By Cold War Kids

Picture of Jack---}  

Chapter Eighteen: Plan Making With A Southern Twang.

Black eyes the color of the night sky stared at me with worry and concern as I paced in my room stopping every few minutes to stop a sob from leaving my mouth. I felt pretty useless in the moment and that was steaming the tears. I didn’t like this helpless feeling and that was damn frustrating.

“Miss Sylvie, you can’t be getting yourself all worked up.” That thick southern accent begged me.

I snapped my head to the source narrowing my eyes at him. “Who the hell are you anyway? Who are you to Seth? Who are you to me? Why are you here?”

Seth’s messenger boy was an interesting looking fella. His hair was a shade or two dark of red than my own set of locks with, pale lightly freckled skin and black penetrating eyes. Your typical ginger male but with that southern twang and a dimple on his cheek as he worried his lower lip, I could see why girls would like him. Too bad for him all I could think about was my missing boyfriend.

He scratched the back of his marble skinned neck. “Well, My name is Jack and I’m Seth’s pack mate. When he got into a bit of trouble he sent me here to come protect you and help you free him."

“Freeing? Freeing?" I echoed getting even more panicked  "What exactly happened?”

Okay, I am freaking out hard core by now. I can’t help it. My wolf man soul mate boyfriend life partner is god-knows-where doing god-knows-what while I sit here getting introduced to new people like it’s a fucking tea party. So, yeah I’m a bit on edge.

To Jack’s credit he stayed calm in the face of my hysteria. “Seth went for a run, unaware the Alek had been planning on catching him for treason. Since, now this is according to Alek, Seth undermined his authority by breaking command and trying to break the deal with the Marcum family.”

“And what does that all mean?”

“Well,” Jack sighed. “It mean that Seth, if found guilty will be beheaded.”

“What!” I screeched like a bat out of hell. “What do you mean beheaded? He can’t be beheaded! That’s not even a thing? What is this the fucking French revolution? He belongs to me! They can’t kill him!”

By the end of my rant I’m hyperventilating. If Seth dies I’ll go insane. I’ll burn this house to the ground and rip all my hair out. I’ll die; I will literally die without Seth. Evaluating my own thoughts as they came into my brain I mentally shook myself. I was going insane. I needed to calm down. I need to calm down so I could focus. The word 'beheaded' floated into my thoughts again causing me to break down again.

I fall to the floor trying to get air in to my lungs as tears flowed down my face. This can’t be happening. This cannot be happening. Everything was fine when he left. He said he loved me. I said it back. We were good, things were good and now I don’t know if I’ll ever see him alive again.

“Miss Sylvie.” Jack called through the haze with worry thick in his voice. “Please calm down. I’m here and we’re going to get him back. He’s not going to die but you need to calm down so we can come up with a plan.”

“A plan?” I parroted lifting my head.

He nods. “Yeah, it’ll be good to go in with an idea.”

I swallowed the lump of tears in my throat, nodding. “Okay. You’re right. Tears won’t get him back and freaking out will do nothing but waste time. He’d need me to be strong right now and I will be. He’s not going to die.”

“No, he won’t.” Jack assured, seemingly relieved I’ve toughened up.

I didn’t blame him. I've always been an ugly crier anyway.

“Now, Seth mentioned you were a witch?”

I gave him a slow smile that most likely made me look insane but at the moment I couldn’t find it in myself to care. I had enough energy stored up for this and a kitchen full of tricks downstairs. Slowly my breathing comes back to a manageable level.

I’m coming to get you, Babe and I’m going to kill that son-of-a-bitch Alpha.

Damn straight.