Chapter Seven *Edited

© Amber Kalkes 2014 

*Song Of The Chapter: "Natural Blues" By Moby

Picture of Sylvie's house---} 

Chapter Seven: Aftermath Of The Newman Effect.

Seth’s anger was kind of like an iceberg while I was the Titanic, completely oblivious to the danger ahead. Well, not totally oblivious. I mean I wasn’t stupid. Seth’s tense arm around my waist and deadly silence was kind of a big hint. The silence, not to my surprise, stretched on until we were both in the safe belly of Penny’s cab. Then he spoke and I almost pissed myself.

“Do you realize the amount of shit you almost got into?” he said in a low serious voice. His tone hit me like a whip. I even flinched.

“I didn’t mean---“

Seth held up a hand and cut me off. His hand then fell onto the steering wheel and I realized that not only was he in the driver's seat but he was actually going to attempt to drive Penny. Usually I would not be okay with that but he seemed kind of pissed. So I bit my lip praying she behaved.

“Sylvie.” He said, his tone a bit softer. “Newman isn’t someone to test. His father is… a very powerful man around here.”

I snorted, “Yes, he made sure to mention ‘his power’. Many times, actually.”

“Yeah, I ‘m sure he did.” Seth sneered. “Little shit never could keep his fucking mouth shut.”

“Well acquainted?”

“Unwillingly. As much land as there is Newman and I often run into each other since our land is so close together. He’s not one to follow rules, which really pisses me off.”

“Something tells me that’s a very easy feat.” I snapped, unkindly.

Seth's face instantly fell into a guilty expression. “I am sorry I didn’t come quicker.”

“It’s okay.” I mumbled looking out the window at Annie’s. “I’m just glad I had someone on my side this time, you know? Usually I’m just left to the wolves.”

I glanced at Seth to see an amused look on his face.

“Pun not intended.” I added with a sheepish smile.

To my relief he chuckled a little. “Either way, Sylvie. I’m here to protect and serve.”

“Damn.” I said snapping my fingers. “I knew you were a birthday stripper. You know, I always preferred the Fireman to the Cop.”

My intention of making him laugh succeeded. He laughed deeply and the rich sound filled the truck making me melt a little. Which was a little embarrassing but I pushed that feeling away. I made him laugh and I should enjoy that. So I did.