Chapter Thirteen. *Edited

© Amber Kalkes 2014 

*Song Of The Chapter: "House Of The Rising Sun" By Lauren O'Connell

Chapter Thirteen: Reaping What You Sew.

Tulips.

It came to me as I stood in the lawn looking over the two fairly fresh graves in my yard. I said I was going to put a garden and damn it I was. After about two hours, a shit ton of money spent and one overly attentive Seth trying to help me I was finished.

Covered in dirt, the starters of a cramp in my hand from holding that damn spade and of course exhausted. I was doing a duty; at least that’s what I kept telling myself. Not that I owed Alek any favors at the moment but I did owe Seth a bit for defending me. So I bit the bullet did the garden work and stood back to admire my work.

Two lovely plots of tulips of yellow looked back at me. Daises would have been more of a puny choice but I wasn’t that heartless. One plot for Trent the headless wonder and one plot for Ethan the neck snapping disaster. I wanted to feel guilty about being so heartless about but I just couldn’t.

Maybe I was a sociopath? That would explain a lot.

“You're not a sociopath.”

I jumped about a foot high and turned around to see a wary looking Seth. He had worn the same expression towards me since the Ethan incident and it was starting to grate on my nerves. He looked at me like I was ready to have a breakdown at any moment and curl into a ball. And that simply wasn’t happening.

“You.” I said pointing a finger at him. “Need to stop doing that.”

“Doing what?”

I rolled my eyes. “Jumping up out of nowhere and reading my mind the peeping Tom you are! It’s just creepy and I don’t get to read your mind so it’s also unfair.”

“You can try to read my mind if you want to.” He shrugged.

“Why can you read mine so easily?”

“I’m used to it. With the pack link and everything being in someone’s mind isn’t as foreign a concept to me as it is to you. You’re going to need to practice that by the way.” he added as an after thought.

I waved him off. “Whatever.”

I turned back to my garden and bit on my thumbnail then spit. I forgot my hands were still covered in dirt. YUCK! I wiped my hands on my jeans and then sighed in dejection. Would it ever not look like two covered up graves to me?

What do you care? Apparently you’re a sociopath. My inner voice reminded me snarky.

Ugh. You again.

Oh yes me. You need time to think. Time away from Seth.