Chapter Five *Edited

© Amber Kalkes 2014

*Song Of The Chapter: "The Body Breaks" By Devendra Banhart

Chapter Five: Revenge Is A Dish Best Served To Someone Else. 

It had been two days. Seth hadn’t reappeared since he stormed out. So, I figured he had an epiphany and decided I wasn’t his soul mate. Not that I blamed him for it. Though I had to admit it, I was in pain. I felt like something was torn from my chest. Like I was missing a major piece of myself. Of course, this didn’t stop me from doing my routine. I had appearance to keep up.

I mean how upset would the local wildlife be if I don’t read a book on the porch? Answer: they could not give a shit. But it was all I had to keep me going through the misery. I had no one to blame but myself for that, of course.

You were being smart, the bitchy voice in my head stated.

Yeah, and look where that got us. He’s gone and he hates me.

Well at least we have our smarts.

Dear voice in my head, I hate you.

The phone inside rang and I jumped. Who the hell would be calling me? Running inside I grabbed the phone off the reciever and held it to my ear.

“Hello?”

“Sylvie?” a male voice asked.

“Maybe. Who’s this?”

“Ethan Glenn.”

Oh well fuck me.  “Hey, Ethan. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Well, I was wondering when you wanted to hang out.”

Seth said no.

Seth also left two days ago with a word.

Touché brain.

“Well I’m not doing anything today really.”

“Awesome! Um, how about around two?”

I glanced at a grandfather clock in the hallway. Well it was noon. That was enough time to gussy myself up a bit.

“Two will be fine.”

“Okay, I’ll meet you over at Tegan’s Tags, okay?”

“Sounds good. Bye Ethan.”

“Bye Sylvie.”