Chapter Six *Edited

© Amber Kalkes 2014

*Song Of The Chapter: "All I Need" By Radiohead

Newman---------}

Chapter Six: I Know What Boys Like…Okay Maybe I Have No Clue.  

Seth and I were exiting my house when he stopped walking to stare at my truck. His face was incredulous at best. One perfect brow raised, arms crossed on his broad hard chest, lips in a thin line, questioning and borderline amused green eyes regarding the object before them.

“What?” I sighed, feeling my shoulders sag in annoyance.

“You drive this?”

I straightened my back. “Don’t knock, Penny. She is a champion among vehicles.”

“Penny?”

“Yeah.” I shrugged, shuffling my feet. “She’s like a penny. No body wants her but she brings me luck because I found her. Besides the rust is the color of copper.”

Seth chuckled shaking his head. “You really are adorable you know that?”

I felt heat rushing to my cheeks.

“Come on.” He sighed yanking open Penny’s passenger side door. “Let’s get this ridiculous meeting over and done.”

I smiled and climbed into the driver’s seat. Seth suddenly started referring to the semi-date as a “meeting”. I think it made him feel better. You know who would want his or her soul mate going on a date with someone else? Well, surely not Seth. Nope, he was pretty possessive but cared enough to give me the option of a male friend. Not that I needed one really. It was more about proving a point.

As Penny roared to life I saw Seth tense at her power. Yeah, he was surprised. Good, served him right for doubting my baby. The song “Rebel, Rebel” by David Bowie came on the radio, yes I listen to the classics, and I began doing my toned down version of my car dancing. I even began singing along, but quietly. I certainly did not want to scare Seth off with my impromptu American Idol audition. Nah, he had more embarrassing habits of mine to suffer through first.

I risked a glance over at Seth as I was doing this slow rolling over my shoulders, which was a key move of my car dances to see him smiling at me. His eyes were soft as they looked at me and that was when I saw it, adoration. It was clear in his expression. Sure, so was amusement and a glimmer of lust but it was the love there that caught my attention. Immediately I looked back to the road with a small smile on my face. Did he already care about me that much?

“What are you thinking?” he asked me out of the blue.

I shrugged, “About how David Bowie and Joan Jett would have had the best looking baby this side of the Mason Dixon.”

Seth chuckled and I felt my stomach twirl. God, I loved his laugh. It was deep and sexy. Like black velvet on the eardrums.