Ben Sitting

Miranda and Danny drop Ben off and leave. "Why are you in a wheelchair?" Ben asks me immediately after Miranda and Danny leave.

"I got in an accident and now I can't walk." I say.

"I'm sorry Miss"

"Don't be. God has a reason for everything he does. Can I tell you a secret?" Ben nods. "Come sit on my lap first." Ben does and I look to Andy who gets the idea. Andy pushes Ben and me out the house and onto the road then he starts to pick up speed. Ben is giggling the entire time. Andy goes to the end of the road and back.

"That wasn't a secret!" Ben says.

"No it wasn't, but it was fun right?" Ben nods.

"What do you want to do next?"

"Do you have any pets?"

"More than most people, do you want to see them?" Ben nods. "I was hoping you would. Follow Rex and Buzz out to the barn." Everyone follows the twins out the back door and to the barn. I stay back at the porch and admire my yard, imagining everything that could be done to improve it.

"Aren't you coming Meli?" Dylan asks, coming back to the porch.

"Nah, you go ahead."

"Come on, I want you to see Ben's face light up when he sees the animals."

"It's kind of hard for me to go there in this."

"Alright, then I'll carry you." Dylan picks me up and we walk to the barn. Jed is inside, but he's refusing to make eye contact with me.

"Dylan, bring me over to Jed, please." Dylan walks over to Jed and sets me down on a bale of hay.

"Hi Jed!" I say enthusiastically.

"Hello Miss Amelia."

"Jed, you know none of this is your fault, so why are you being so hard on yourself?"

"I chose the horse for you to ride. I should have known Old Bob couldn't handle it."

"You didn't know. Please just atop blaming yourself. God let it happen, so I know I can handle it."

"That's a mighty fine attitude you have there, Miss Amelia. I can see why that Dylan boy likes you so much." I start to blush. "I can see it on the way he looks at you, that is love."

"Why does everyone say that? We're just friends, but everyone says we should be more."

"I know I don't have much room to speak, but I think you like him too." I look over and see Dylan with Ben and can't help but smile. He looks over at me and smiles back.