The Trip Home

Dad, Andy, and I have been on the road for about an hour now. Dad hasn't said much of anything to me yet, just that he was sure I was going to fall in love with Hobson. Andy has made me put the phone on speaker so he can talk. He is really lonely riding by himself behind us.

"Dad, can I ask you something?" I say after an hour of hearing Andy ramble on about stupid drivers.

"Of course. Feel free to hang up on Andy too if you want."

"Don't do that. I'm so bored and lonely. Don't hang up on me." Andy says through the phone.

"I'm not hanging up. I just want to know why you chose to move to Hobson, Dad."

"After leaving your mother, I contacted some old friends of mine, the Grants. Toby Grant is a pastor and he planted a church in Hobson. He told me I could stay with them until I could make enough money to buy a house of my own. I became the youth pastor for the church, mainly because I missed you and Andy so much, and I earned money that way. After your mother and I divorced, I got enough money together to buy myself a house. I actually had enough to buy myself a small cattle ranch, which I have always dreamed of doing."

"I never thought of you as the rancher type, more of the CEO of a big business type."

"That's what I said too." Andy says. I forgot he was still on the phone with us, he is being so quiet.

"I guess it wouldn't be hard for the two of you to think that. I never really shared my dreams with the two of you."

"So you went to Hobson because you have friends up in the area? How did you meet the Grants?"

"Both Toby and his wife, Eliza grew up in Elberta. Your mother, Jeff, Amy, Toby, Eliza, and I used to be best of friends growing up. Eliza is actually the daughter of Steve and Barb Jackson."

"The Grants have a son around your age too, his name is Dylan. I think the two of you would get along great. He leads worship for the youth group, he sings and plays guitar." Andy says. "I'm going to call you back, I want to make another call."

"Andrew Austin Applegate, you better not be trying to set your sister up with Dylan." Dad says.

"Honest, I'm not. I was calling Dylan to let him know we're on our way back. I haven't even told him about Meli yet."

"I want it to be a surprise, don't tell anyone that Meli is coming home with us." With that Andy hangs up the phone.

"Andy and Dylan are pretty close. Kind of like he was with Jared, from what I've heard. He's taken Dylan under his wing, they spend most of their time together, since Andy really doesn't need to get a job with the money Matt gave him. Andy's even gotten a job at the high school as a janitor so he can spend more time with Dylan during school hours."

"At least he made a good friend. Dylan isn't into drugs is he?"