Chapter 36

JAYCEEAEL

The halls were dark, void of light and warmth. There was a silence in the air that stopped my heart, made me cower away from the entrance. My hand slipped from Fili's causing him to turn. It was going to take a lot more than a golden haired dwarf to get me further into that mountain.

Ali passed by, I could see goosebumps on her arms, could tell the hair on the back of her neck was on end. Vivi stayed close to her and Kili, eyes darting this way and that, just as uncomfortable as I.

"Darling, it's ok." Fili coaxed. I was cemented in place. I was not going any further.

"Fili!"

"Bilbo, you're alive!" Bofur cheered. He was hastily shushed by the Hobbit.

"You need to leave, we all need to leave."

"What is it?" Vivi pushed closer to him. "Is it Thorin?"

"Is he hurt?"

"No." They all spun around, startled by the second voice. "It is not safe for you here, you must leave." Ulric was focused solely on Ali at this point.

"What do you mean?"

"I've tried talking to him but he won't listen!" Bilbo frantically tried to usher them back up the staircase but no one budged, save myself and Ulric.

"You're not making any sense." Bofur's brow was knit tighter than Ori's sweaters.

"THORIN. Thorin. Thorin. He's been out there for days. He doesn't sleep. He barely eats. He's not been himself - not at all. It's this - It's this place. I think a sickness lies on it." Fili's face fell blank.

"A sickness," Ali looked to Ulric who only stared back.

"Maybe I should talk to him." Vivi began.

"It would be fruitless." Ali breathed, still looking at Ulric.

"Sickness, what kind of sickness?" Kili was utterly confused. Fili pushed past us, heading down a flight of stairs. Vivi dashed after him, Ali hot on her heels. Ulric grabbed her elbow stopping her.

"You will be no good to them, you must come with me."

"Ulric-"

"Ali, we must leave." Alissyanna allowed her brother to steer her away.

"Take care of her." She breathed as she passed me. Their wings unfolded, carrying them up and towards the mouth of the mountain.

"ALI!" Kili shouted after her. He didn't respond. "Where is she going?"

"I don't know." I responded quietly. Mustering my courage, I followed the stairs after Fili and Vivi.