Chapter 34

JAYCEEAEL POV

A hideous roar echoed, reverberating off the water. The horror spread across the little one's features, she buried her face in her sister's waist, hiding her frightened tears. Vivianetta was frozen, her slack-jawed look matching the fear in her eyes.

Alissyanna still crouched on the table, her eyes focused on mine. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't help the tears that streaked my cheeks. We were going to die here, all of us. This whole town was going to burn.

"Bain," Ali spoke, lunging forward and seizing his shoulders. "Where's your father?"

"I dunno."

"THINK!" She shouted, a storm brewing in her blue irises.

"The last I saw h-he got cornered!" Bain shouted back, startled.

"Which way did they take him?!"

"Towards the uh, uh, j-jail." He sputtered.

"That's my boy." She leapt up, unfurrowing her tattered dragon like wings. Her wings were intimidating, filling almost the entire room.

"Where are you going?!" Kili yelled, looking up at her. She looked down from her spot on the table. Her eyes softened, a small smile played at her lips.

"I'm going to save them." With one quick beat, she propelled herself into the air, through the space in the roof. Then she disappeared.

"We have to get the kids out of here." Vivi finally muttered, turning to look at me. I nodded quickly, wiping my tears with my palms and taking hold of Tilda's shoulders.

Her tear streaked face was twisted in fear. Tilda's lip quivered as she tried to stop her crying. I rubbed her arms, smiling reassuringly. Hoping that it would help, I gave her a small peck on her forehead. And help it did not.

"We're all going to die." She sobbed. Fili stooped low, taking her face in his hands and turning her towards him.

"We all do eventually." She grew silent. "But not tonight. No little one, you see her?" He nodded up at me. "She's an angel. A guardian angel nonetheless! She's here to make sure I am safe. Now, I will lend her to you on one condition." She sniffed, her hands clutching at the fur of his coat. "You dry those tears and show me a smile." She wiped at her eyes, drying her cheeks on her sleeve and offering a small crooked grin. "Thats better." He scooped her up and took her sister's hand, leading them down a set of stairs in the kitchen.

"Jay, give me a hand!" I rushed to Vivi's aid, helping hoist a slightly out of it Kili down the stairs. A boat awaited up, Tauriel had already begun emptying it of all other contents but the children, dwarves, and angels that would be in it.

"Keep the blankets, she'll need one." Sigrid whispered, taking an old afghan from Tauriel and draping it about Tilda's shoulders.

"Hurry, come!" Bofur rushed us along, helping get Kili into the boat before offering us his hands.

"We aren't coming." Vivianetta stayed me in my tracks.

"Don't be ridiculous get in the boat." Fili ordered.

"Fili, that boat is too full, we'll drown before we get out of town."

"She's right," I stepped in. "We have to help Ali." I leaned forward, pressing a passionate kiss to his lips before following Vivi up into the night sky.