Chapter 2

“Tree… dwarves, freaking horse… pants.” I was mumbling to myself. On the way back Braig and I got in a shoving match, which resulted in my landing on my face… twice. I got up and punched him in the shoulder, when I was in front of him he bent down and grabbed my untucked pant leg, tripping me and dragging me backwards. I got away and looked at him. “Stop it! You are just like a five year old!” I yelled at him. He pinned his ears back and glared evilly at me. When I reached my stuff the dwarves were looking at me like I was crazy.

“Miss, are you ok?”

“The horse… is- is an ass.” I said pushing his nose away so he wouldn’t bite me. I picked up my gear and put Braig’s tack on him. I took his reigns and led him and the dwarves to Hobbiton. We reached Buckland by sunset. We had talked very little; I finally decided I might as well break the ice a little.

“So, what is your business in Hobbiton? People seldom stop there.”

“Meeting a few friends, it was a halfway point for us.” They gave each other a sideways glance; they were both tall for dwarves, about my height.

“What about you?” The other asked.

“Ironically the same as you.” I said, looking back at them. I stopped as did they, Braig pawed the ground. Pulling his head down I took off his bridle and unhooked his saddle. I pulled it down and set it on the ground at my feet, with a gentle hand I pulled his blanket off and folded it. “Go on, get out of here.” I said, pushing him softly, he bowed his head and walked to our left, down a little trail. I picked the saddle and bridle up, draping the blanket over the seat. I lead us on.

“What if someone steals him?”

“They won’t. No one goes into the old forest, only a little ways longer, I’m afraid this is where I leave you.” They both nodded. “Follow this road down about two leagues. Then you will come to a dirt path, follow it till you see houses, they will be built into the sides of hills, round doors, turn and go down the dirt road, it’ll take you right into Hobbiton.” The blonde repeated what I had said and looked at the dark haired one. He looked… sad? “Well, good luck.” I turned and headed down the path Braig had left down.

“Wait.” I turned; the dark haired dwarf stepped forward. “You never told us your name.” I smiled softly, turned and started back down the path, lugging my heavy saddle. I traveled until it was dark, and then set down the saddle. I looked behind me, just to make sure no one followed me, I felt something soft on my face. Braig nudged my face with his nose. I tangled my hands in his thick mane and leaned my head on his. We started walking again. He kept right next to me. When we got to the middle of the woods, we both looked around. No one.

“I’ll see you of the other side.” I whispered gently into his neck, he stepped in front of me, I slowly undressed. I put my clothes on his back and stepped into the shadows. The skin on my back split. I cried out in pain, blood dripped slowly down my back. My spine bent forward and twisted. The pain was horrendous. Slowly I felt them start to fall into place, I straightened my back, but was sent forward. My head was swimming. My eyes began to burn, instinctively I clawed at them. I felt the skin split a few times. Nails dug into the dirt, teeth gritted, I growled at the pain. I felt the skin on my face crawl. I knew it was morphing, almost instantly I felt the wind hit the inside of my right cheek, I no longer felt anything on most of the left side of my face. A bone in my arm snapped and contorted. After about ten minutes the pain was gone and I was laying in the fetal position. Braig slowly came towards me. Careful not to hurt myself any more than I had already I stood with him. We looked at each other; he stepped forward and nudged me with his nose. I smiled weakly then leapt into the air.

***

“Well, here it is.” I said, looking back at Braig. He bowed. He went back the way we came, we saw a bunch of other ponies down the road a ways, I told him to wait for me there. I knocked on the door. It opened, a Hobbit answered, he was a little shocked. The whole house went quiet. I stepped in, my friend stood.

“You’re late.” He said.

“I can’t change this animal I have become.” I winked. He smiled and nodded.

“Gandalf, is this another one of your games?”

“Games?” I said looking at the hobbit.

“Look at the first one, in the dining room.” I passed a mirror in the hallway, I stopped and peered in. My face was covered in scratches, I already knew the rest of me was, I had a split in my lip, and a decent cut under my eye. I smirked and went into the dining room where Gandalf stood. I looked in, thirteen dwarves sat. I smiled, I recognized two of them.

“Found your way I presume?” They nodded. Gandalf clapped me on the shoulder.

“This is Alissyanna.” He started. “She will be accompanying you on this journey, as your…” He looked at me.

“Expendable.”

“Yes.” I laughed silently to myself.

“What do you me our expendable?”

“I’ll be the one taking arrows to the chest and axes to the head.” Gandalf elbowed me slightly and nodded towards a dwarf… with an axe in his head. I was a little speechless… really; did he have to have an axe in his head?! All the dwarves looked at me. I couldn’t think to say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading! Please don't forget to comment and tell me how I'm doing! Thanks again!!