Chapter 22

FILI POV

“Do me a favor and fetch the horses little angel?” Why did he keep calling her that? Couldn’t he tell it was getting to my brother?

“Ok.” She stood and left the house. He waited for a moment then looked at us all again.

“You travel with great risk.” He said.

“The orcs…”

“Orcs do not amount to her. She is dangerous. Unpredictable.” Beorn said, turning to Gandalf and then to Thorin. Kili was about to protest, so I quieted him with a biscuit shoved in his mouth.  “Why did you call upon her? She does not need the stress this quest is bringing her. It is taking its toll; if you cannot see it then you are blind.”

“I do see it. She…”

“Signed a contract. She should have thought of the stress before she picked up her quill. Now she has to finish the job she started.” Thorin snapped. I thought my brother was going to murder him. He started to say something but I silenced him by quickly putting another biscuit from his plate in his mouth.

“A contract is only paper, dwarf. She is fragile…”

“I’d pick many words to describe her but fragile is not one.” Thorin interrupted, another biscuit was forced into my brother’s mouth. Everyone was starting to get very quiet. I turned and saw Ali standing in the door way.

“If you are worried about me… well, slipping up… then you may dismiss me, I gave you the chance when we were in Rivendell but you kept me.” Ali hissed, so much for the good mood. “I can handle my condition; they all have been told how to keep themselves safe if I do slip.” She was looking at Beorn. Everyone’s attention turned to my little brother when he began choking on the biscuits I had stuffed in his mouth to silence him. “As for you, you need to find another way to quiet him instead of suffocating him with biscuits. Chew.” She said slamming his oversized mug on the table in front of him. Ali stomped to the back of the house.

Moments later, she was darting towards the door, stumbling over boots, hay, sheep, and her own feet. When she got to the door she held out her arm. A great black bird landed unsteadily on her arm, digging its talons into her skin to stabilize itself. In its beak it held an envelope. She muttered something in her other language and the bird left. The envelope looked a little worn and was unusually thick. A red wax seal held it closed, I was unable to clearly see the emblem in the middle, but I swore it was a very fancily written V. Careful to not break the seal, Alissyanna opened the envelope.  She pulled out several pieces of paper, smiled softly, stepped into the house.

“Quick hellos from the girls.” She set them down in front of Thorin, who found Vivianetta’s hand writing quickly.  He then passed it on to me; I couldn’t help but read them all looking for Jay’s.

Gloin- Doing fine, all is well, must be quick, on my way to war. Be safe, hope to see you soon! Emendusk

Balin- Still alive, for now, can’t wait to see you. Stay safe, trust Ali, stay out of trouble! – Kandonia

Ori- I am well, be safe, must be short, on my way to battle. Careful out there! – Bridane

Bofur- Can’t wait to see you! Be safe, don’t stress over the dragon, if you need me, remember what I told you. – Lafkye

Bombur- Stay safe, be careful, trust Ali. Must be quick, going to war, yours truly- Malmara

Dwalin- must be hasty, suiting up for war. Be safe, lots of love.- Doktorian

Bilbo- I’m getting better, my head is almost healed. Don’t worry about me, stay focused. Don’t forget me, love you lots. – Phoniay

Nori- Doing good, patching up lots of people up here, wish you a safe rest of your journey! Lots of love! – Fayevia

Bifur- Can’t fix hand, two of a kind, off to war, miss you tons! Love- Kroskric

Dori- Miss you lots, can’t wait to see you, be safe, don’t get into too much trouble! – Baradok

Oin- Eve of battle tonight, bad war last week, lost many. Lost half of leg, metal replacement. Stay safe, love you to bits! – Serena

Thorin- Jay and I are leading the army tonight. Keep an eye on Ali, she’s pretty torn up about not being able to help us. Be safe, if you need me, call, I love you. -Vivianetta

Fili- Be safe, trust Ali, tell everyone ‘hello’, leading army tonight. Wish me luck. I love you to the moon and back!- Jay