03 | The Peptalk

= L o r r e l l

Ever since Danny told me that mum's back in town, I've been seriously feeling sick. I still can't believe I ever looked up to that woman in any way possible, since she's obviously just one of those easy people who'd do anything for money. From what I've heard from Danny through text messages, she's been married several times since her divorce with dad. 

After Danny called yesterday, I immediately called dad with the excuse that he had to pick Kay up, because she was having troubles with walking because of the pain in her back. He fell for it, and he picked her up. After he dropped her off at our house, he went to some grocery store because Kay had some serious cravings. We had quite a good day yesterday, and later that night Danny joined us. Dad apologized, and told him he'd come by another time. 

Throughout yesterday a lot of messages were shared between Harris and I. I never used Facebook on my phone, but we had great conversations, and I kinda missed them when I wasn't on my laptop to talk to him. There were also lots of textmessages on my phone from Danny, but that's because he keeps me updated on everything that happens. He's not supposed to do that, but it involves our mum after all. 

Right now I was at school, where nothing new happened. I kept as quiet as possible, a girl I shared two classes with went into labour, a teacher ran out of the class because the class-clown drove her crazy.. Long story short, I was ready to go home. 

It wasn't something new that I'd rather go home than stay at school, but still. 

The last bell of the day rang, and I was ouf of the classroom as fast as I could I had all of my things in my bag already, so it didn't took me long to walk out of the school, straight to the bus stop, and get into a bus after it got there. 

The only thing that was different today was that I wasn't going home straight after school. I knew Danny was at the station, so that was where I was going, no matter how badly I wanted to go home to talk to Harris. I knew I had to go to the station to see Danny. 

I couldn't stop thinking of yesterday. I got to know Harris a bit better yesterday, and it made me smile. Maybe it was way to fast to be smiling about a conversation with someone, but it felt good to have someone to talk to.. It felt like I wasn't even that shy while talking with him through Facebook, which is probably the case. 

And, our conversations were less formal now, which made me even more comfortable talking to him. 

It didn't took me long to get at the police station and soon I walked inside. Danny was nowhere to be seen, which ended up in me going op to the front desk to ask for him. 

''..Sir?'' I started shakily. I had no idea how to get his attention, but at the same time he didn't look old enough to be called 'sir'. 

It ended up catching his attention, because he looked up at me and gave me a small nod to show me he was listening. 

''Where's Danny?'' I asked, but quickly continued after thinking about the fact that he's quite new there, and that the people may not know his first name, ''Danny Carter, he's my brother and-'' 

''Ah, Mr. Carter. I'll get him for you, if I'm right, he's on his lunch break at the moment.'' The man behind the desk stood up, signed that I could sit down while I was waiting. and walked away. 

I did as he said, and sat down on one of the chairs standing there. I simply looked around a bit, since I never actually entered the police station. Almost everything was white, with some dark blue touches here and there. It was quite calming, to be honest. 

''Lorrell? What are you doing here? I didn't want dad around while she's in here, that doesn't mean that you can come by.'' Danny said, and walked over to me. 

''Hey there, dear brother, nice to see you, too.'' I started, and he gave me a small smile. ''As angry as I am at her, I also know that you're not quite fond of her.. I just came by to check if you didn't go mental.'' I explained. Danny chuckled, and sat down next to me. He probably thought of something, because the happy face he got while he chuckled soon faded away. 

''Lorely, I need you to listen carefully, yeah? There's this phone for 'criminals,' which they can use once a week for a phone call to their loved ones.. Mum told one of my colleagues that she's gonna call her daughter to bail her out. I'm gonna give you that number, and if it calls you, don't pick up.. Alright?'' 

I looked at my older brother with a proud smile on my face, and wrapped my arms around his shoulders. ''You're amazing at your job, Danny. Don't worry too much. Also, don't worry about me, yeah? You've got your girl at home with a kid on the way.. I'm old enough to take care of myself.'' 

''Thank you, baby sister,'' he smiled, ''but as an older brother it's kind of my job to worry about you, hm? Especially since we didn't grew up hating each other.. She hurt us a lot, Lor, I'm not gonna let you or dad go through that again, not when I can do something about it.'' he explained softly. I slowly let go of his shoulders, and looked at him. The moment I wanted to say something someone called out for Danny, and I sighed. 

''Take care, yeah?'' I mumbled. Danny gave me another smile and nodded, where-after he stood up and walked away. 

I also made my way back to the bus stop, and I was lucky that I didn't had to wait for long. As I sat down on one of the chairs in the bus, I grabbed my phone from my bag, and opened facebook. 

Harris: Done with school already? :) 

I couldn't help but smile at the message, and at the moment I also couldn't care less about the other people in this bus who saq me smiling at my phone. 

Lorrell: Yeah, I am now. I was done with school some time ago, but I went to my brother for a bit. 

It was new that there wasn't a surprisingly fast answer, but I had to remember that he probably had a life himself, and that he couldn't talk all day. 

I softly bit my lip, and looked out the window. Everything was so peaceful just days ago, and now mum's back in town- in jail- and everything turned upside down. The good thing, though, is that Harris started talking to me. 

I felt like a different person, and I didn't even knew why. It just felt strange to know that I had someone to talk to when I was bored. It was like I was someone so different on my laptop, like I was a created caracter.  

The thought of being a self-created character made me smile. Of course it did. Characters had many downs in their stories, but their story had a happy end.. Well, most of the time it had. 

Soon the bus stopped around the corner of my house, and I walked out of the bus. Soon I walked inside of my house, and smiled at my oblivious father who's cooking dinner. 

''Hey, sweetheart. Had a nice day?'' he asked, while I slipped my shoes of, and shrugged my jacket off my shoulders. My bag ended up on the floor, and I shoved my phone into my pocket as I walked into the kitchen. 

''Yeah, I did.'' I smiled, and just watched him. He had a happy smile on his face, and I didn't want anyone to ruin his happiness, especially not our 'mum'. 

_________

Not much LorrellHarris-time in this one, I'm sorry. I wrote most of this at school, since I am too distracted at home, and I'm surprised at how many random things I wrote while being at school, haha. I'm currently making lots and lots of tests, which takes a lot of my time, but I really wanna go back to my old school and the only way to get there is getting my grades up, so yeah. Comment, Vote, and be nice. :) xx