Chapter 22: The Shock

I'm speechless. I have absolutely nothing to say.

Ross and I are still sitting on my bed and he's looking at me expectantly, just waiting for me to say something.

How am I supposed to respond to "I chose you instead, Laura"? That sounded so romantic.

All I can really do right now is blankly stare at Ross. I'm probably freaking him out.

I had this all planned out. After he told me about him fake dating Courtney I was going to forgive him. I was going to say that it was okay that he didn't tell me because I'm currently in the same situation with him. I understood.

Then he threw me off guard with the whole, I chose to fake date you instead of another stranger, statement.

"Laura?" Ross asked quietly, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I opened my mouth to speak but I immediately closed it after realizing that I still had nothing to say.

Another moment of silence passed before Vanessa decided to stop by my room for a visit. In other words, she was eavesdropping this whole time.

"How's it going in here?" She asks from the doorway. She looks at both Ross and I before frowning, "Woah, Laura, you don't look so good."

Wow, thanks.

"Uh, I should probably go." Ross says suddenly, standing up from his seat on my bed.

Vanessa looks at him in disbelief, "Seriously? You're just gonna leave after saying all that?"

Ross questionably raises his eyebrows at her.

"I mean, it was great to see you, Ross!" Vanessa adds with a fake laugh.

"Yeah, you too, Vanessa." Ross says slowly as he walks to the doorway. He turns and looks at me with a sad frown on his face, "Bye, Laura."

It takes everything in me but I manage to send him a small wave before he leaves the room.

Vanessa waits until the front door closes before speaking. She jumps onto the bed next to me and sends me a glare, "You have some explaining to do, missy."

I still don't respond. Now that Ross has left, I've definitely relaxed a lot but that doesn't mean I have anything to say.

When I don't reply, Vanessa speaks again, "So, Ross was fake dating Courtney until his manager decided to have them break up and now he's fake dating you?"

All I can do is nod.

"Wow," she responds, "why didn't you tell me any of this?!"

I finally decide to speak, "We weren't allowed to tell anyone."

"Not even your family?" She asks.

I shake my head, "His manager gave us three rules that we had to follow. The first one was not telling anyone that we weren't really dating. The second one was to not hang out with anyone that could be a possible love interest and the third one was no falling in love with each other."

"Well, jokes on his manager. I know you're fake dating and no one told me straight to my face." She says smirking.

"Yeah, because you were eavesdropping on our conversation." I glare at her.

"It was so worth it." She exclaims.

I roll my eyes at her.

"So what are you going to do?" She asks me.

I look at her confused, "What do you mean?"

"Well are you going to 'dump' him?" She asks using her fingers as air quotes.