Chapter 27: The Reunion

I'm wide awake. At 3 a.m.

It's been four hours since I got into bed and told myself that I wasn't going to think about what Ross said the other day.

That only got me thinking about what he said.

"I love you, Laura. More than you know."

What if I'm overthinking this? What if he only meant that he very strongly loved me like a best friend? What if he wasn't even talking to me and he was talking to Juliet on the movie?

He said your name, idiot.

I'm definitely overthinking this.

In fact, I overthink so much that I haven't slept more than a few hours since that day. Four days ago.

I haven't seen Ross since that day either. I didn't know how to react to his sudden confession so I pretended to still be asleep when the movie ended. Ross didn't wake me but he simply wrote me a note, kissed my forehead, and quietly left my house.

He's left a few texts though. All of which I haven't responded to. I know that Ross has no idea that I heard him but there's no way I would be able to talk to him normally without him suspecting that something is up.

***********************************

I'm awoken by the sound of my phone ringing.

When did I fall asleep? What time is it? What day even is it?

I sit up slowly, trying to locate my phone. I follow the ringing sound and I find it on the corner of the nightstand.

Without checking the caller I.D., I answer it right before it stops ringing.

"Hello?" I ask before my phone is even touching my ear.

"Why haven't you been answering my texts, Laura Marie?" I hear the voice on the other line say when I finally get the speaker to my ear.

"I've been sleeping." I reply, laying my head back down on the pillow.

"You can sleep when you're dead, Marie. I've already texted you a gazillion times. I hope you don't have any plans. We have things to do today." I finally recognize the voice in my sleepy state and my eyes widen.

I glance at the digital clock on my nightstand and my eyes widen even more. 8 a.m. I only got four hours of sleep.

"It's too early for this, Calum." I groan, closing my eyes again to block out the light streaming in through the window.

He scoffs in the other line, "Too early? The sun is shining and the birds are singing. It's time to get up!"

"Why wasn't I informed of these plans before this moment in time?" I ask him, opening my eyes again only to close them immediately. I'm pretty sure that the sun is even brighter today than usual.

"You were. Twenty minutes ago when I texted you but you didn't respond." He answers matter-of-factly.

I mentally roll my eyes, "Wow, thanks for the heads up."

"Anytime. Now get up! Up, up, up! We have places to be." He shouts loudly in my ear making me flinch.

"Where are we going?" I question.