Chapter 11: The Plan

I added 'Lay Your Head Down' for this chapter. Enjoy!
***********************************
"That's a terrible idea."

"No it's not."

"Yes, Calum. It is."

It's a couple of days later, almost half a week since the day of my panic attack. Since then no one has mentioned it at all. Well, it's not like I've seen them much. They've been rehearsing nonstop for their concert.

Speaking of their concert, I'm currently talking to Calum over the phone about ways he, Raini, and I can surprise Ross and the rest of the band. I told Ross a few days ago that I wouldn't be able to make it to his concert and that I would be out of town for a photo shoot. I feel really bad about lying to him but our surprise appearance has to be perfect.

Calum thinks it would be a great idea to get the audience in on it and have everyone throw pancakes on stage. Calum says it will make Ross think of his character, 'Austin', which will lead to him figuring out that we're there.

I told him no.

"How is throwing pancakes on stage a bad idea? We're not injuring anyone?" He questions.

"What happens when a fan has bad aim and accidentally hits another fan in the head with a pancake and then a fight breaks out? What about when there are so many pancakes on stage that a band members falls? What about all the wasted ingredients used to make those pancakes? People are starving you know." I begin listing off ways that people could get injured with his 'brilliant' idea.

He's silent for a moment. "Okay, fine. We won't do that." He sighs, jokingly.

"Maybe we should ask Raini? She's always full of great ideas." I tell him.

"Maybe." He responds.

I tell Calum that I'll call him back after I talk to Raini and we hang up.

I bring up Raini's contact and dial her number. I wait patiently for her to pick up.

"Laura!!" Her excited voice suddenly fills my ears.

"Raini!!" I exclaim in excitement. It's been a few days since we last talked.

"What's up?" She asks me.

"So Calum thinks he has another great idea for the surprise." I tell her.

I hear her sigh. "It's not the canons again is it?"

"Uh, no. This time he wants to throw pancakes on the stage." I tell her. 

I can basically see her rolling her eyes through the phone, "I think he might need some help."

I laugh at that. "Yeah, he definitely doesn't think things through as often as he should."

"So what's our game plan? It's probably going to be a bit harder now that you're dating Ross." She asks. Oh yeah, I forgot that she knew that Ross and I were dating.

"I told him that I had a photoshoot that day so he thinks I can't come." I say slowly. I feel the guilt coming back up. I know Ross will love the surprise but I hate lying. Especially to him. He's my best friend.

"Okay that will work. That way he doesn't expect you to show up!" He says obviously pleased. I'm not pleased. I still lied.

There's silence for a few long moments before she speaks again.

"Fog machines."

"What?" I ask.

"We'll use fog machines! Then we can just appear out of the fog on stage and surprise everyone!" She explains.

I smile. "That might just work."

We chat for little longer about our plan before I tell her I probably need to call Calum back so he doesn't come up with any other 'brilliant' ideas.
***********************************
"Are you sure you won't be able to make it?" Ross asks me again.

I nod. "I'm sure."

I hate this. He really wants me to be there and even though I will he thinks I won't. I hate seeing him upset. I just want to blurt out the truth but I know that I can't. That would ruin everything.

He sighs before slumping his shoulders and lazily laying all over the counter again like he was before. We're currently at his house in the kitchen and Rydel and I are making lunch for everyone. They've been rehearsing all day because the concert is tomorrow but they're on their lunch break right now. Riker said that they could all get fast food but Ross insisted that Rydel and I make them all Stormie's famous macaroni and cheese instead. So here we are. The rest of the boys are playing video games in the other room but Ross stayed in the kitchen with us. He's trying to convince me to find a way to come to the concert.

"Leave her alone, Ross. She can't come. It's okay. She'll come to another concert." Rydel tells her little brother, obviously getting annoyed at his persistence.

"I just really want her to come." He replies. "She hasn't been to a concert in a long time."

"I'll come to a concert soon, Ross. Don't worry." I tell him, trying to fight off they ever-rising guilt.

He sighs again before quickly changing the subject and sitting up straight.

"Did you ever find out when the cast could get back together for a reunion?" He asks me.

Seriously? Here goes the guilt again. Now I have to lie about Raini and Calum too.

"I talked to Raini yesterday but we couldn't find a good day. I haven't spoken to Calum about it." I tell him.

"Maybe I'll call Calum later to try and schedule a date." He says.

Note to self: Distract Ross so he doesn't call Calum.

Calum is not the best at keeping secrets. He'd probably blurt it out instead of saying 'hello'.

All of a sudden Ross' phone rings.

"Speak of the devil," he says before answering. "Hey man."

Oh no.

There's silence for a moment as he listens to what Calum says.

Ross furrows his eyebrows and he gets a slightly confused look on his face. "No, I don't know where you can buy a fog machine."

Cue the face palm.
***********************************
Heyy guys!
Sorry I didn't update yesterday. I started on the chapter after I finished my homework but it was really late and I fell asleep while writing.

Just 1 week until I'm out of school and I can update more often!

I hope you enjoy this chapter. There isn't much Raura but sometimes there needs to be chapters like that.

Give me your feedback! I love all the positive response I'm getting already!

Chapter 12 coming soon! 💕

Published: May 16, 2017