Chapter 2: The Answer

"What do you mean 'the perfect opportunity to bring Raura back'?!" I exclaim, my voice squeaking a little in surprise. I was not expecting that. At all.

He sighs, obviously knowing that this conversation probably isn't going to go as smooth as he was hoping it would go.

He doesn't say anything for a while so I continue speaking, turning it into a rant, "what does she want us to do? Hang out more? Do a movie together? Collaborate on a song? I'm still recording my album so I guess we could add in a new song. I could write a new song and you could help. Or not help. I don't care. What you want is fine. Maybe you could write the song and.." He cuts me off in the middle of my sentence. Good thing because I don't know where I was going with that.

"Laura! Slow down! She doesn't want us to collaborate or do a movie together or anything. It's actually way worse than that." He says.

"Worse?" I begin to worry. What could he possibly mean by worse?

"My manager, Betsy, you know her right? Anyways, Betsy wants us to uh..." He trails off.

"What Ross? What does she want from us?" I ask getting slightly annoyed that he was stalling. It can't that bad can it?

After a few moments of silence he speaks again. Saying words that make my breath hitch in my throat.

"I need you to date me. Pretend to date me. Be my fake girlfriend."

Cue the mouth drop.

"You want me to do what?!?" I exclaim.

"Please Laura. I need you to do this for me!"

"Why me? Why not one of your other girl friends?" I mean, he could ask any girl that he's met over the years or just walk down the street. I bet he could have at least twenty girls to choose from if he just walked down the street.

His reply comes back quickly, "Betsy wants you to do it. Raura was such a huge thing back during Austin & Ally. Actually, no, it's still a huge thing. She thinks it would completely blow up and make huge publicity."

"What if I refuse to fake date you?" I question, a million thoughts running through my mind.

"Well, uh, I kinda already told everyone you were." He says lowly, almost whispering.

"You what!?"

"Please Laura. I promise it won't be that bad. We've known each other for years. We're best friends. You know I would do this for you if you asked." He says making me feel a bit guilty. He would do this for me if I asked him to. I know he would. It's just who he is.

But was this a good idea? We'd have to be together more often and with our schedules that's a really hard thing to do. We hardly ever hang out now because we're so busy. The last time we actually saw each other in person was for my birthday. That was about five months ago.

But I have missed him. I've missed him a lot. We used to see each other every day on set for Austin & Ally. It's still weird not seeing him everyday, even if the show's been done filming for two years now. Our friendship has been slowing drifting apart. I hate it. I hate how we're drifting so far apart. If I agreed to do this with him then we'd be together more often. I could get my best friend back.

"Ugh. Fine. I'm in."

There was a moment of silence before an ecstatic voice came from the other line.

"Really!? You'll really do this with me?" He sounded surprised which baffled me. Did he really think I wouldn't agree? He should know me better than that.

"Yes Ross. I'll pretend to date you for publicity. Wow, that's a weird thing to say."

I could picture the smile on his face as he spoke, "Thank you Laura! Thank you, thank you, thank you, than.." I cut him off quickly.

"You're welcome! You know I would do practically anything for you. You're my best friend." I began to smile too, loving how happy he was all of a sudden. His happiness is contagious.

"You're the greatest best friend of all time. You know that? You better know that because you are." He almost shouts through the phone making me pull the phone slightly away from my ear from how loud he was.

I put the phone back up to my ear after he stops talking, "So, um, what now?" I ask not knowing what to say next. I just agreed to fake date my best friend for publicity. What do you say after that?

"Well we need rules for this agreement," he begins, "Betsy has already given me a few that I should go over with you. Are you busy right now?"

"I'm gonna shower and then I was planning to watch a movie or something before going to sleep. Do I sound busy to you?" I reply with sarcasm in my voice.

"So I can come over. Like, right now?" I hear some shuffling in the background and the jingling of keys in the background. He already knew the answer.

"I'll leave the door unlocked."

***********************************
Wow! Chapter 2 is already completed! This only took about 30-45 minutes to write! The first chapter seemed to take forever but that's only because I stopped writing it in the middle and finished it a couple hours later. 😂

It's a bit shorter than the first chapter but I hope it's worth it.

Enjoy! Give feedback as well. I love to read what you guys think.

Chapter 3 coming soon.

Published: May 6, 2017