-Radiant-

That day at school we all watched Bill.

He was laughing, bragging about how he won the game for everyone and how he was sad about what happened to Derrick.

There was no case was made about it. Coach told the police that Derrick had been acting strange all day, talking about dying but he thought nothing of it.

That was a lie.

This whole town was a lie.

Bill walked by our table, stoping in front of Chase. "I'm sorry about Derrick. He had a very good head on his shoulders, if you know what I mean."

Chase balled up his fist, Cole grabbed his hand under the table. Stoping him.

Bill walked away with his friends.

After school,

Kade dropped me off home so I could pack.

I think the reason for hurting Bill isn't because of Derrick. What he did was wrong but he didn't hand him that rope.

I think it's more. A lot more.

The way Kade looks at Bill like they both know something.

The way John was so sure he was ready for it.

How Madison never second guessed leaving home.

Cole, even though he has a scholarship. He is ready to get out of here more than anybody.

And Chase we all know he would rather be anywhere else.

Then there's me, I'm not sure how to feel or what to do.

"I always knew I'd cry when you'd leave." Phil stood in the doorway, watching me. "I just didn't think it was soon."

I plopped down on the bed, head in hands. "I don't know what to do."

The bed dipped down beside me, his hand rubbing my back comforting.

"You love him, don't you?" I nodded into my hands. "That's why your leaving."

It felt so dumb to be hearing that allowed. That I was following behind a guy. I thought Phil was disappointed.

"And that's not a bad thing, Dylan." I glanced up at him. "Sometimes following your heart is the best thing to do. If your heart says leave and be with Kade do it. Live, Dylan. Go through life with no regrets. Break rules. Smoke all that fucking weed I found under your bed."

We both laughed.

"This." He pointed to my heart. "Is all that matters."

I stood packing the rest of my things.

"Give this to Kade." He held out a gun with a silencer on it and a folded piece of paper. "Don't look at me like that. I saw the looks on their faces after the funeral."

I took it stuffing it into my bag.

"Mom."

Phil held onto my arm. "Don't go to your mom. She won't let her only child leave. I'll explain it to her. Just make sure you call when you get wherever your going."

Kade's car horn honked for me to come outside.

"I love you Dylan."

My arms wrapped around his neck. "I love you more, dad."