Twenty-One

"Why are you so hyper today?" Liam laughs from his kitchen as Louis's tackled by Liam's new puppy.

He hadn't planned on adopting any animals when he went to the shelter as a favor to one of his friends about a week ago. But, low and behold, he met Lizzie, an adorable 6-now 7-week old black labrador retriever.

"Are you talking to me or the dog, mate?" Louis says between squeals as the puppy runs up his chest so that Louis falls onto his back on Liam's carpet. She immediately begins licking Louis's face all over as he continues to giggle and squeal every few seconds.

"You, mostly. Aren't pregnant people supposed to be tired all the time or something? Because you're creating a human, or whatever," Liam shrugs, putting two scoops of protein powder in his afternoon shake.

"Ever since my second trimester started, I've been - stop it, Hillary Duff," Louis giggles, pulling Liam's dog away from his face.

"Her name's Lizzie," Liam whines. "Be nice to my dog."

"Anyways, ever since my first trimester started, I've gotten this weird boost in every for some reason. I don't know why. I still haven't read any books, but Harry would probably know the details if I asked him," Louis shrugs, sitting up and placing Lizzie in his lap, scratching her behind her ears.

"So you're making Harry do all the busy work while you sit back and relax?" Liam chuckles, pressing a button on his blender, causing it to roar and mix his shake up.

Louis scoffs. "Excuse you, I'm growing a human in my stomach. What have you done with your life in the past week?"

"I met a girl," Liam talks over the blender with a shrug.

"Ugh, the straights," Louis jokes, pretending to gag.

Liam just rolls his eyes and chuckles at his best friend.

"Alright, alright," Louis feigns a sigh, looking dramatically over at Liam. "Who is she?"

"Just a girl," Liam says vaguely.

"I can't even know her name?"

"No, because you're going to stalk her on social media again, and that didn't go over well last time," Liam reasons.

"Mate, it's not my fault that she had John Travolta's face tattooed on her shoulder blade," Louis says, his voice rising slightly.

"I thought it was Nicholas Cage?" Liam asks, squinting his eyes to which Louis responds with a shrug. "Either way it still haunts me in my sleep."

"Stop tattoo shaming 2k17," Louis laughs, taking one of Lizzie's paws and raising it in the air.

"Stop involving my dog in your charades," Liam says, sticking his tongue out at Louis.

"Oh, please, you can't even spell 'charades.'"

"S-H-"

"You've already fucked it up, mate, you should just stop," Louis cackles, making the dog dance to the sound of Liam's failure.

"Whatever, I'm a secretary, I don't need to be able to spell well," Liam rolls his eyes, pouring part of the protein shake he made into a cup and beginning to drink it.

Louis squints his eyes and tilts his head slightly to the side. "I don't-" he starts, trying to figure out if his friend is being serious or not. "I don't think that's true, Liam."

Liam just shrugs and downs the rest of his shake.

///

"Niall, will you help me?" Harry asks as he sits on the floor of his new living room that's void of any furniture besides the chair that his friend is currently occupying and his tv that's propped against the wall.

Harry ended up choosing the loft that had been shown to him and Louis on their adventure, and they allowed him to move in much sooner than he had anticipated. Of course, he didn't have much to take with him, because his dorm flat was already mostly furnished when he and Niall moved in, so Harry doesn't really have any furniture as of right now.

"With what?" Niall asks, taking another swig of his beer after peeling his eyes away from the golf channel that Harry has absolutely no interest in.

"I can't do this hand right. I'm right handed, I don't know why I thought this would be easy," Harry scowls, looking at the current atrocities that are the nails on his right hand. There's literally nail polish trailing down his pointer finger, and he has no idea how it went that wrong.

"Since when are you bad at doing your nails?" Niall laughs, sliding out of the chair to sit in front of Harry.

"I haven't painted them in awhile," Harry shrugs, removing the nail polish already on his hand with his polish remover. His mum sent him a little flat-warming present in the mail, which included a little succulent, a picture frame with a photo of him and his family, and three different nail polish colors.

"Alright, let me see your hand," Niall says, patting his knee, signaling Harry to place his hand there. "This one?" he asks, holding up the metallic rose gold polish that was half open. Harry nods, and Niall opens the vial up all the way, focusing to the best of his ability so that he doesn't mess up his friend's nails. He finishes the first coat after a couple of minutes and waits patiently for Harry to shake his hand and blow on his nails to speed up the process. He carefully paints the second coat, and Harry seems pleased with the final result.

"Thanks, mate," Harry smiles, holding his hands in front of his face and inspecting the polish. He forgot how much he loves having his nails painted. He quickly snaps a picture with his phone and sends it to his mum as a thank you.

Harry spends the next hour barely touching anything he comes into contact with so as not to put any dents in his beautiful new nails. He uses his teeth and his feet a lot more than he usually would as well.

"You really should think about getting some stuff for your flat, lad," Niall asks while he eats a sandwich off of a paper towel. Harry doesn't even have any plates or utensils yet.

"Stuff is expensive," Harry whines with a pout. "I get my first paycheck in two weeks, so I'll start thinking about furniture then."

"Fair enough," Niall says with his mouth full, and Harry grimaces at the sight.

"Manners," Harry scolds.

Niall just rolls his eyes and takes another bite. "You and Louis fucked on my couch, I'll do what I want, thanks."

Harry's cheeks go red, and he gives Niall an awkward smile with his lips pressed tightly together as he turns away from him and takes out the trash.