Thirty-One

"Harry, c'mon," Niall says softly, shaking Harry awake. "It's almost 3 in the afternoon. You need to get out of bed, lad."

"No," Harry sniffles, turning away from Niall. "It's Saturday, I don't have to do anything."

"Do you want to talk about what happened yet?" Niall asks carefully.

"I don't even know what happened, Niall," Harry snaps harshly. "That's the point."

"Something had to have happened, Haz," he says quietly.

His comment makes Harry jolt up so that he's sitting on his ass, facing Niall and revealing the dark, dark circles under Harry's eyes that are intensified by his blotchy red skin. "Nothing happened!" Harry yells. "Absolutely nothing happened! Everything was fucking perfect! I was getting ready for our date, he came downstairs, yelled at me, and told me that the baby isn't-,"Harry swallows as he tries to hold back the tears that are building in his eyes. "that the baby isn't mine," his voice cracks at the thought. "and then he left," he finishes quieter than he started. "Why did he leave?" he asks, the pitch of his voice raising as he brings his knees up to hide his face so that Niall doesn't see him cry. Again.

"Mate," Niall says, pity filling his voice as he begins rubbing Harry's bare back to try and comfort him.

"I was going to tell him that I-," Harry starts, his own whimper interrupting him. "that I love him," he sobs, revealing his tear-stained cheeks to Niall.

"Harry, I heard about-" Naila says, walking into his room, but stopping herself when she sees the state of the poor boy. "Oh, Haz," she gasps, quickly dropping her keys and phone on the corner of Harry's bed, and tackling him in a hug, which he immediately returns, burying his face in her shoulder as he cries. The action causes her scarf to be tugged slightly down, which Niall swiftly fixes for her. "Thanks, Ni," she whispers to him, letting Harry squeeze the life out of her still.

"No problem, sweetheart," he replies, and the pet name makes Harry whimper.

"I used to call Louis 'sweetheart' and he would tell me that it made him feel like the mum from a 50's sitcom," Harry blubbers, his voice going higher with every word.

Naila sends a silent glare over at her now-boyfriend, and Niall just throws his arms up in defense. "I didn't know," he whispers at her.

"Shut up, Niall," she replies, squeezing Harry harder as he continues to dampen her scarf with his tears.

///

Louis's admittedly doing just as terribly with the break-up.

"Liam, why are you always in Wolverhampton when I need you?" he whimpers into the phone as he sits on the floor of the nursery that him and Harry decorated together.

"I get homesick, Lou," Liam replies apologetically. "I'm coming back tomorrow, and you can yell and scream about how much of a twat Harry is when I get there. I won't even go to mine first, I'll come straight to you."

"Don't say his name," Louis mumbles, another tear escaping his eyes as he wipes it away angrily.

How could Harry do this to him? He just can't believe that he would keep that he knew the baby was his from him. He can't believe he would lead him on to think that he wanted to be involved for so long. He's so incredibly angry at him, but so incredibly in love with him, and he hates himself for that.

"Sorry, Lou," Liam says.

"I can't even get off this damn floor by meself anymore, how am I supposed to raise a baby on me own?" Louis breathes.

"Louis, you're going to be a terrific dad. Wait, why are you on the floor?"

"I'm in the nursery, and you-know-who bought the rocking chair, so I'm on the floor," Louis says matter-of-factly, sniffling.

"But if you know that you can't get off the floor, why would you-"

"Liam, I miss him," Louis begins to blubber suddenly, burying his face in his free hand.

"Have you talked to him since you left?"

"No. He's called me, but I can't-" his body racks with sobs as he rocks himself back and forth, trying to catch his breath. "I can't talk to him right now. Or ever again, I can't."

"Okay, Lou. Okay. You're okay. You'll be okay," Liam says, noticing that Louis's starting to hyperventilate. "Take a deep breath, Lou."

Louis does as his friend says, closing his eyes as he breathes.

"This whole situation is bullshit," Louis mumbles after a minute or two.

"Complete bullshit," Liam agrees. "Will you be alright to tell me what happened tomorrow?"

"No, but I will anyways."

"Alright, Lou. Are you okay if I go? My mum's calling me down for dinner."

"Yeah, that's fine, Li," Louis sniffles. "Sorry for taking you away from your family for so long."

"Don't sweat it, Louis. Love you."

"Love you too, Li," Louis replies, his voice small. He hears the dial tone a few seconds later and sighs, tossing his phone onto the ground and wiping more tears off of his face as he tries to compose himself.

He looks over at the crib behind him and scoots over, gripping it tightly and slowly pulling himself onto his feet.

"At least I know it's sturdy," he mutters to himself after he's standing before he goes into his room to wallow in self pity in the comfort of his own bed.

A/N: ok so this was unbearably short, and I'm sorry for that, but it's been a hectic few days lmao

ANYWAYS THIS FIC IS ALMOST OVER CAN YOU BELIEVE IT

I ONLY HAVE 3 MORE CHAPTERS AND AN EPILOGUE PLANNED LIKE I'M ACTUALLY SCREAMING

I'm also going to try to finish this fic up by the 20th (or around there) bc I move into my dorm room on the 23rd!!!

I'll probably be able to finish it up beforehand, but y'know.

HEY BUT DID YOU CATCH THE (not so) SUBTLE HINT THAT NIALL AND NAILA GOT TOGETHER ?? I didn't dedicate a big part of this fic to that bc I mean it's not about them and it wouldn't have fit right to have a random chapter about the pair, but they're together!! yay!

SO I HAVE 2/3 OF THE FINAL CHAPTERS WRITTEN (i might not even include one of them tbh bc it's not that significant but idk what do you think???) AND THEN MOST OF THE EPILOGUE DONE, SO WE'RE ALMOST THERE GUYS