Twenty-Three

"Liam, I'm freaking out," Louis says into his phone as he's driving back to his flat from his 16 week OB appointment.

"Why? Is there something wrong with the baby?" Liam asks, obviously quite worried.

"No, the baby's perfectly fine, but there is an envelope on the passenger's seat next to me with a piece of paper in it that has the gender of my child written on it, and I'm so fucking nervous," he says, biting his lip and turning his left blinker on.

"What's to be nervous about? Do you care what it is?"

"No, not at all. I grew up with like 28 younger sisters, so I'm good at handling little girls, and I'm a guy, so I'm sure I'd be alright at raising a little boy, but I-I don't know," he sighs. "Obviously, I'll love it no matter what, but I just. I don't know, maybe I should just let the whole thing be a surprise. I'm not sure if I even want to know the gender."

"But I want to know," Liam whines into the phone. "So I can buy him or her things."

"Liam, you can buy whatever 'gendered' stuff you want, and I'm sure I'll still use it regardless," he says as he pulls into the driveway of his flat. He sees Harry waiting in his car for him and goes to knock on his window, scaring the living shit out of the boy. He waves, laughing at his terrified face, and Harry makes his way out of the car.

"I can come over after I get back from my mum's and be there when you open it if you want, but it wouldn't be until tomorrow evening."

"No it's fine, Li, Harry's here with me. I can just call you later."

"Sorry, Lou," Liam says, sounding slightly guilty that he couldn't be there.

"Don't worry about it, Li, I still love you," Louis says with an upbeat tone, unlocking the door to his flat and letting himself and Harry inside.

"Love you too, mate. Anyways, I've got to go. Call me later tonight to tell me the news, alright? Around 7 fine?"

"Perfect. Bye, Li," Louis says before hanging up.

He looks up from his phone to see Harry standing in front of him with a nervous smile, looking like he's literally about to vomit.

Harry almost seems more nervous than him about finding out the gender, which is strange, seeing as it's not even Harry's baby.

Harry doesn't understand why he's so terrified either, to be fair. For some reason he just feels so attached to Louis's baby. Obviously, he realizes that it's not his, and that he really shouldn't care this much, because the odds of him and Louis working out forever are quite slim, but he just can't help it.

"Are you ready?" Harry asks, hopping up and down slightly with his hands clasped together in front of his mouth.

"Not even a little," Louis laughs, staring down at the envelope in his hands. "Honestly, Haz, I'm not even sure if I want to find out," he sighs.

Harry nods in understanding. "You don't have to if you don't want to, Lou. It's your baby. Plus, the gender your baby prefers might not even coordinate with the sex it's assigned, so really you might not actually find out until they're like 15," Harry rambles.

"You're not wrong," Louis laughs. His smile quickly fades into a nervous frown, and he just shakes his head. "I think we-I mean I-I think I should just do it," he sighs. "I'm sorry that my brain keeps trying to bring you into this as if it's your kid too. I really don't mean to put any sort of pressure on you."

Harry grins at the smaller boy and shakes his head fondly. "I really don't mind being brought into it, Lou. If we're still together when the baby comes, I wouldn't mind being involved at all. I love kids. Especially yours," he says, moving closer to Louis and slowly bringing their lips together.

"No offense, Harry, but you're the strangest 23 year old that I've ever met," Louis says after Harry pulls away.

"How's that?"

"I told you I was pregnant with some other bloke's baby on our first date when we were about to have sex, and you kept dating me," Louis says monotonously.

"I was very infatuated with you," Harry shrugs. "Still am."

"And you continue to involve yourself in things to do with the baby, and I swear you're more protective than I am sometimes."

"That's part of dating someone who's pregnant, Lou. I know what I'm getting myself into, and I'm perfectly alright with it," Harry says, placing his hands on Louis's shoulders. "I love kids."

"Alright, alright, let's just open it, I guess," Louis says, biting his lip nervously.

Harry watches intently as Louis slowly removes the tape from the back of the envelope and pulls the folded piece of paper out, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

"1, 2," he counts under his breath. "3," he says and quickly unfolds the paper. His hand shoots to his mouth as he sees the four letter word staring back at him. "Oh my god, Harry," he begins to tear up.

"What is it?" Harry asks frantically.

"It's a boy," Louis sobs happily, turning the paper around to reveal the word 'male.'

Harry immediately grins and pulls Louis into a hug, ignoring the tears he feels on his chest. "I'm assuming you're happy then?"

"More than happy," Louis replies, wiping his eyes. "Do you mind if I call my sisters really quickly?" Louis asks and Harry shakes his head with a smile.

"Tell them I say 'hi,'" Harry says as Louis dials Lottie's number.

He nods with a sniffle. "Hey, Lots," he says after a minute. "Are you with any of the other girls? Great, um, will you get them all together and put me on speaker? Thanks, babe."

Louis breaks the news to them a few moments later, and Harry can hear joyful screaming and multiple "congrats, Lou"s from where he's standing. Harry just marvels at his boyfriend's happy smiles and how blue his eyes become when he cries. How he tends to cover his mouth when he laughs and the overwhelming urge Harry always feels to touch him in some way or form, sexual or otherwise.

"Harry says hi, by the way. Yeah, he's here. Alright, hold on," Louis says and takes the phone away from his ear, putting it on speaker. "You're on speaker."

Harry is almost shocked to hear the amount of shrill screams that are coming from Louis's phone. He vaguely makes out a few "hi"s and there's a "when are we going to meet you?" thrown in there somewhere.

"Hello," Harry laughs, dragging out the "o." "And hopefully we'll get to meet soon, but I think that's more up to Louis than myself."

"Alright, well now that we've formally pressured me into things, I think it's time I let you guys go. I'll talk to you all later, alright?" Louis jokes.

"Bye, Louis!" they all scream at the phone.

"Love you guys," he says, hanging up after they return the comment, a couple of them adding in a "love you, Harry!" as well which he politely returned.

"Your sister's are cute. I thought you had a brother too, though?" Harry asks.

"I do, but he's a toddler, so he's not so good at talking on the phone yet," Louis laughs.

"You seem happy," Harry fonds.

"I'm honestly so excited. My family basically never has boys. Out of 7 of my mom's kids, she got 2 boys, and we're more than 20 years apart, so this is just so amazing."

"Now you can start thinking of names," Harry smiles.

Louis grins so widely at that thought, that he feels the need to cover his face to hide the smile lines that have probably just been indented into his cheeks.

A/N: This is short and shit, but it's finally here! I don't like this chapter, but I have sooo many that I'm so excited to let y'all read!! It's taking me so long to get to them though :(

I think the next chapter is probably going to skip forward about a month, and it'll just be a filler, but we're only 1 or 2 chapters away from the big reveal (for Harry at least)!!

Q: what do you think about the baby being a boy??

(((p.s. idk why I chose boy, it just felt right for some reason lmao)))