Chapter 2

Damaged people are dangerous

They know they can survive.

"Dr. Kia, have you decided yet?"

all the members looked at me as Dr. Rehman asked me the question.

I had made my decision when Rina and I had our conversation, then why it was soo difficult to get those words out of my mouth. For the first time, I was nervous during a meeting. I had never been nervous before, that was one of my qualities. 

This was one of the reasons why I always represented this hospital at any conference. But this time, the words were clogged in my mouth. 

Deep breaths Kia!  I reminded myself.

"Dr. Kia, we're waiting. "

"I can't move away from Delhi." I said in a rush.

Everyone gave me a blank look.

I was surprised myself. I had decided to go, face my fears and all. What Rina told me, I was going to do all of that, but well let's just say I am a coward.

"What? Why" Dr. Rehman asked.

"Because I can't." I said in a haste, looking away.

This room is suffocating me, I need fresh air. Maybe a cigarette won't  be bad at this stage.

"You have to give us a valid reason for not moving away. " Dr. Rian, another board member asked giving me a cold look.

"Why isn't anyone of you  moving away from Delhi? Why is everyone pressurizing me? "

"Let's just say, Mumbai is your hometown and you don't have a family to live with, so what is the problem in moving. " Another member shouted.

That's it.  I hate when people scream at me.

" First of all stop shouting at me. I am a doctor here, not your servant. Secondly, it is my decision, you are no one to say.  And thirdly, why is everyone so desperate to get me out of this hospital? " 

This is getting insane, or rather out of hand.

"Okay enough. Everyone out, I want to talk to Kia, alone. " Dr.Rehman said with a stern look. 

Dr. Rehman was the head or managing director of the hospital. One order from him and it should be done. He has been more like a father to me ever since I shifted to Delhi.  He didn't know my history, or past, but has always supported me. And the fact that he called me Kia in a meeting, that means I was in for an inspirational fatherly talk.

Everyone left as soon as he ordered.
I was sitting in my chair, hands sweaty and eyes almost full of tears. I know how to control my emotions, these three years taught me alot.
I won't cry infront of anyone.

"Kia... "

"No, Dr. Rehman, I can't "

"Okay look, let me explain"

I looked at him, and for the first time I saw helplessness in his eyes.

"It was a year back when all the shares of our hospital, started going down. It was because of the fiasco that took place last year.. " he sighed.

Last year, there was a huge fiasco that took place at our hospital known as the great 'kidney racket'.
The rivals of our hospital had somehow managed to get the illegal kidneys to our cold storage, followed by a huge raid of police.  That was a huge news for days and the case was taken to high court.  After three months of fighting we had finally proved that the rivals were at fault.

" But we cleared that stuff out. We came out clean! " I said

"Yes, but because of the whole fiasco the image of the hospital started going down.  We are building up this new hospital in a completely different zone, a complete different area, so that we can regain our position in the market.  We have to rebuild our image from the core, start afresh and for that you are the only person I can trust. "

I was speechless, I didn't know what to say.

" I don't know, why are you saying no to this, but please help me out this time. You're like a daughter to me, and I know you can rebuild this hospital's image. " he said.

This was the first-time, I had seen Dr. Rehman this vulnerable. He was a person with great personality and leadership qualities. A personality every doctor should have. And if he is asking me for help that means, it is a big thing.

I sighed.

"Fine. I'll do it."

***

Vote comment and share❤

Thankyou @nidhijaiswal for editing this chapter