Chapter 20: The Choice

Song for the chapter: "Water under the bridge" by Adele.

************

When the sun had risen on another day, Vanessa woke up feeling rejuvenated and filled with certainty for the first time since marrying Jonah. Despite her mothers' warning about space, it was exactly what Vanessa needed. After a fun filled breakfast with her parents, Vanessa had taken AJ and left to see Jonah. AJ was excited to be back home, bouncing in his seat at the back of the car and talking about all the cool stories he wanted to share with Jonah. If she were a stranger looking in, Vanessa would assume AJ was a normal and happy young boy excited to see his father. But, Vanessa knew better.

Behind his excitement lay a sadness that Vanessa knew was caused by the arrival and realization of Cole's role in his life. For an eight-year-old, AJ had always been critical, always thinking about everything around him. Even though she knew he was excited to see Jonah, she knew her son used it as a mask to hide his worried thoughts about Cole. It was all because of AJ that she knew what needed to be done.

Vanessa wasn't surprised to arrive at her apartment and find Eden there accompanied by two cameramen. She knew why they were there and she was prepared for the moment. Once they had got inside the apartment, AJ had run into Jonah's arms and hugged him tight. The joy on both their faces had halted Vanessa in her steps. It was a moment she'd always freeze and keep for later, never wanting to forget the moment when true love between a father and son was expressed.

Though Vanessa wanted to get things done quickly, she knew she owed AJ and Jonah time to catch up, reconnect and just enjoy one another's company. Jonah let AJ pull him towards his room where the young boy proceeded to pick out his favorite puzzles that she'd never before had time to build with him. The pair played for hours, talking and laughing and the pain in Vanessa's chest only seemed to amplify with every giggle her son released.

When four hours had passed and AJ had chosen to take a nap, Jonah had finally joined Vanessa in the living room. He appeared tired, the bags under his eyes being heavier than she'd ever seen and yet, the smile he wore was the brightest he'd ever graced her with.

"I'm so sorry about that. I didn't think he'd keep me there for such a long time." Vanessa smiled softly at Jonah and pat the seat next to where she sat on the sofa.

"He missed you," she answered him quietly once he'd sat next to her.

"I missed him too." He turned to her with a gentle smile, his eyes wide and bright. "Both of you," he added with sincerity, the words slicing through Vanessa in a way she never expected.

"Now that you're here, we would like to get things going if that's alright with you." Eden's words distracted Vanessa from the thoughts and pain Jonah's words filled her with. She looked to the beautiful woman, cleared her throat and nodded. Jonah replicated her actions and soon Eden was instructing the cameraman to get ready.

"The final decision will be aired in three weeks but we need to get the recording done now. We have given you both time to think about what it is you want and now is the time to let us know." Eden moved to dig inside her briefcase she had at her feet. She pulled out two large piles of papers and a heavy lump jumped in Vanessa throat.

"Here are divorce papers, ready for you to sign should it be the decision you want." Eden pointed at the papers on the table and then moved to reach for another set of papers that she quickly added to the table between them. "Here are the contracts you originally signed and will need to resign should you choose to win the contest and take the money. If you take the money, there are stipulations which we'll need to go through in the contract. Do you understand so far?"

Jonah and Vanessa nodded, each staring only at the papers on the table that held their futures.

"Good then," Eden nodded. "Have you each chosen what you want to do?" The pair nodded. "Good. When the camera is rolling, I will ask you each what choice you've made and your reason behind it. You will each get a chance to tell us your choice, even if you choose the same one."

Vanessa gulped and began to nervously pull at her fingers. In the corner of her eye, Vanessa could see Jonah's knee bouncing erratically and she knew she wasn't the only one nervous about the outcome. She wondered for a moment if Jonah would make the same decision she planned to.

"Alright then," Eden began, nodding towards the man behind her. When the red light blinked on, Eden looked towards the pair and smiled brightly. "We've come to the end of our contest and it is now time to decide if our social experiment was a success or not. Presented to you on your left is a contract you can sign agreeing to stay married. On your right, are divorce papers. You each have a pen and whichever pile you choose to sign, will define your future from this point. It's now time to decide."

If the circumstances were different, Vanessa might have applauded Eden for the dramatics but her erratic heart beat and clammy hands distracted her. This was it. This was the moment everything changed for the second time.

Vanessa took one last look towards Jonah, noticing him already looking at her. He looked resigned, as though he knew what was about to happen. Vanessa blinked back her tears. She had to this, it was for the best.

"I'm sorry," Vanessa whispered as she reached for the pile of papers on her right.

A/N: I am so sorry for taking so long to give you an update, and a short one

A/N: I am so sorry for taking so long to give you an update, and a short one. I was busy running a massive childrens holiday programme last week and then I got bronchitis this week. I hope this chapter was enough to keep you going until I can give you a proper one later.