Chapter 17: Daddy's identity revealed.

Song for the chapter: "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson.

******************

"You just had to open your mouth." Vanessa had her teeth slammed against each other, her fists clenched and shoulders tense as she gritted out the words in anger towards Cole. The man in question stood next to her, behind AJ, with his lips relaxed into a sneer of pride. He wanted to ruin her life, she was almost certain of it; his motive was unfortunately still a secret.

"What did I do?" Cole asked, faking ignorance simply to drive Vanessa more out of her mind.

She turned to face him, her face lit up in suppressed anger. "Why?"

Cole shrugged and moved his eyes to glance at anything that stood to gain his attention above her head. "Mommy, what is he talking about?" AJ asked suddenly, causing Vanessa to instantly reach up and pinch the bridge of her nose.

Vanessa considered her options, realizing that she could attempt to lie to her son knowing Cole would correct her anyway or, finally introduce her son to his father; neither option seeming the least bit appealing.

Vanessa stole a glance towards Cole, seeing the challenge flare in his eyes. He wanted her to lie and he wanted nothing more than to correct her in the most uncivil way possible. Looking towards Jonah, Vanessa saw the sympathy in his tepid smile and downcast eyes. He wanted to help but it appeared he realized the same options she had and, if his quick nod was anything to go on, Jonah wanted her to tell the truth.

Vanessa gulped, shooting a glare towards Cole and crouched down to AJ's level. "AJ honey, do you remember the story I told you about who your daddy is?"

AJ nodded and threw Vanessa a sad smile. "You said that when I was born he was very young and wanted to protect the country but didn't know how to do that and be my daddy so he left to protect other people instead."

Vanessa nodded. "That's right. What else did I tell you?"

"That it doesn't mean he didn't love me but that he wasn't ready to be a daddy."

"And what else did I tell you?"

AJ looked towards Jonah and then at Cole before answering Vanessa. "That one day when he is ready to be my daddy that he will come for me. You also said that other people will want him to protect our country for a long time so someone else will come and be my daddy because they love me and want to protect me."

Vanessa's eyes were heavy with unshed tears. She could remember the day she had spoken to AJ about his biological father. He was five years old and had finally realized that he was not a part of what was considered a 'normal family.' He had been confused and unsure of what a father would do for him that she didn't already do or something his favorite uncle Nick wasn't able to do. All Vanessa could think to do was hope that Cole would come find them one day and it was that hope that she had given AJ too.

Things were different now. Cole was finally back which something her and AJ had been hopeful for, for years but, he was different now. Cole wasn't the same adventurous, charming and mysterious boy she had met in her youth. Cole now stood tall, fierce and hardened by years of mental, emotional and physical torture at the hand of terrorists. He hardly smiled and instead walked assuredly with a glare or smirk permanently across his face. He appeared more sinister and hard-edged than curious and soft-centered.

"AJ, do you still want to know who your daddy is?" Vanessa asked, hoping to lay the difficult decision upon someone else's shoulders.

AJ looked confused. His face pulled into an adorable pout with his nose scrunching up and his forehead creasing in deep concentration. "I thought I already did?"